simon-t

stripped too early?? 1st time fish stripper!!!

hey all!!

my red zebra female was holding, and we counted approx 18days worth of holding

this is my first attempt at stripping... (fish that is lol) so im worried i might have taken them out too early??

they came out nice and easy, swimming free enough... they have a fat sac like belly, almost like what a tadpole would have i think (pic attached - not the greatest quality sorry)

how much should they be moving about? (some lie on their sides but move when another one swims past it)

how soon should they get their 1st feed?

is there anything specific i should be feeding them? ive heard about brine shrimp and flakes etc

any advice would be GREATLY GREATLY appreciated!!!! im not holding my breath that all will survive, but a few would be nice for a first timer like me!!

thanks heaps for ya help!!!!

simon

post-4345-14711624807568_thumb.jpg

as long as other fish dont suck them through

they should all survive

ya did the right thing extracting them, who knows tomorrow she could have spat/swallowed

congrats on the haul

but yea

beware the other fish sucking them out through gaps!

oh yea and give the mum some food for a job well done!

thanks DFF!!

im happy as a pig in shit atm lol... and the mum scoffed a HEAP of food lol she was one hungry fish!

they shouldnt be sucked thru the gaps, as its just enuff for water to circulate through, but i'll probably pick up a 2ft tank tomorrow and move them into there just to be safe

now what do i do for feed time? im a complete novice at baby fish, so im learning quickly as i go!!

Edited by simon-t

well you could feed frozen or newly hatched baby brine shrimp....... but most people just crush up a mix of whatever flake/pellets they have and then feed a small pinch of that, a few times a day.

You will not need to feed until they start to swim around, but you can start to feed early.

Just make sure theres not too much uneaten food rotting on bottom of fry saver.

If you are going to setup a tank for babies, grab an air powered sponge filter (and an air pump to run it) for the tank. These are excellent filters for baby fish.

Or build a larger floating fry saver. Lots of plans for them on this forum.... or just put "DIY fry saver" into google

Hi Simon,

Congrats on the first brood !!

If you need a seeded sponge filter and some fry food just let me know mate im just around the corner :)

Good Luck !!!

Luke

hey luke, thanks heaps for the offer, i "think" im ok atm, but i'll pm u if im s-t-ruggling... hey while im thinking of it, any news on Squirts? did u end up calling?

grum, thanks for the advice on the sac, i'll wait until its nearly gone and then do what DFF said