japes

Like Americans? Japes' "What's in Brisbane?" Thread

Hey guys,

As a couple of you know I make it my business to get around some of the Brisbane stores whenever I get the chance, just to keep an eye out for some of the rarer American species that are getting around because you never know what might pop up. I will be updating this thread after every Brisbane trip with what special species I see around the stores.

Because I prize our sponsors contribution to this website, I will not name the stores where these fish are, but please PM me if you're interested. If sponsors have some of the uncommon Americans currently in stock and I haven't made it out to your store in a while please leave a reply with what's available. Unfortunately I don't get down to the Gold Coast very often at all so I don't know what's down there. If you have any contributions to make to the thread feel free to post them, but please keep it to the rarer species or larger specimens only.

What's in Brisbane? 26/08/08 - American Cichlids/Community Fish

Smaller Americans

- Cichlasoma amazonarium - A very much unheard of fish that I've never personally seen over here. 5-6cm.

- Cryptoheros spirilus - Rarish smaller Central American, though these guys aren't that small at around 10cm and maybe even slightly larger for a dominant male.

- Thorichthys meeki - Very nice looking 10cm Firemouth. I know they're common, but you don't see big ones that often and this was worth a mention.

- Laetacara curviceps - Uncommon South American dwarf, although they're starting to get around more lately I've noticed.

- Aequidens sapayensis - Sizes ranging from 4-7cm, no prizes for guessing where these were from!

- Mesonauta festivus - A popular South American that you actually don't see that much. Some very nice little 5cm juveniles.

Eartheaters

- Satanoperca jurupari - Not sure whether these are leucosticta or not. I know a member here has purchased them and believes them to be Leuco's but they're fairly uncommon over here so they're worth a mention. The specimens were around the 4-5cm mark.

- Geophagus sp. 'Rio Pindare' - Some nice 5cm juveniles getting around. Not the most uncommon Eartheater around, I had trouble finding these a while back though.

- Geophagus sp. Aripuana II "Rio Branco" - If someone wants to correct the naming of this species then please let me know as I have no idea. A small group of these guys at a decent size of around 12cm were available.

Larger Americans

- Amphilophus trimaculatum - Much speculation as to how pure the Trimacs we have over here really are. These guys were around 10cm which is why I've mentioned them, and I've included a photo so you can check it out yourself.

trimac.jpg

Terrible camera phone, apologies.

- exCichlasoma pearsei - Probably my personal favourite Central American. These guys were around the 6cm mark.

- exCichlasoma bocourti - Another one of my personal favourites, juveniles available at around 5cm.

- Nandopsis tetracantha - Ok, so they're also a personal favourite, I'll stop saying that now. Small 4cm juveniles.

- Paratheraps fenestratus - Hard to tell how nice these specimens are with dim lighting and their size, but 6-7cm juveniles are around at a couple of stores.

- exCichlasoma festae - Fairly common but these ones are larger than you see at most stores at around 8cm.

- Petenia splendida - Also starting to become fairly common. 6-7cm juveniles getting around.

- Hypsophrys nicaraguensis - Fairly common but these were well sized at around the 10-11cm mark.

- Amphilophus robertsoni - These have been hanging around for a while now but they aren't that common. 8cm~ juveniles showing nice colour.

- Amphilophus longimanus - Same deal as above, but slightly smaller around 6cm.

Other

- Corydoras sterbai - My personal favourite, 3-4cm.

----------

If you've got any questions or input please feel free to submit it. I'll slowly update this thread as I do more trips.

What about the apistos - how can you do an american thread without noting the apistos?

I'm not really knowledgable about Apisto's though so I'm not sure what's rare. I saw some Cacatuoides today but that was it.

- Geophagus sp. Aripuana II "Rio Branco" - If someone wants to correct the naming of this species then please let me know as I have no idea. A small group of these guys at a decent size of around 12cm were available.

Correct name should be Geophagus sp. "Rio Branco". They were being sold as G. cf. altifrons "Aripuana II" for a while. Not an altifrons as they are delayed brooders.

Correct name should be Geophagus sp. "Rio Branco". They were being sold as G. cf. altifrons "Aripuana II" for a while. Not an altifrons as they are delayed brooders.

That sounds about right, as I believe they were marked as both.

i've always wanted to buy some dorsigers!! (Laetacara dorsiger) they are like a more colourful version of curviceps. i saw some 'wild caught' ones at pet city once... but they didn't look very healthy so i didn't buy them... but haven't seen any in stores since :( i wonder what 'wild caught' means anyways... aren't all imports banned?

i also saw some Satanoperca jurupari in store recently... but holy-molys... $50 for a ~25mm juvie! 8O they looked great but i passed on them too.

i am currently keeping my peepers peeled for a Parachromis friedrichsthalli. various aquarium store people have told me they come in from time to time so i'm playing the waiting game.

i've always wanted to buy some dorsigers!! (Laetacara dorsiger) they are like a more colourful version of curviceps. i saw some 'wild caught' ones at pet city once... but they didn't look very healthy so i didn't buy them... but haven't seen any in stores since :( i wonder what 'wild caught' means anyways... aren't all imports banned?

i also saw some Satanoperca jurupari in store recently... but holy-molys... $50 for a ~25mm juvie! 8O they looked great but i passed on them too.

i am currently keeping my peepers peeled for a Parachromis friedrichsthalli. various aquarium store people have told me they come in from time to time so i'm playing the waiting game.

We had a shipment of the Laetacara dorsigera come in a while back, briztoon alerted me to them but they were a bit out of my price range at the time. They were indeed true Wildcaughts that Bayfish got in, and I saw them at Annerlea Aquarium and Petwise Cannon Hill (I think). Nice looking fish.

I'll keep my eyes peeled or a Freddy. Perhaps try giving Wetpetz a call as they seem to have lots of hookups.

Pet City still have half a dozen or so. I believe they are all males though. They're looking pretty good as of today. ;)

Shortly after they got them in stock a pair formed and bred in the tank. I bought the pair. :)

Pet Wise at Cannon Hill also had a breeding pair in a display tank. I went in last week to buy them and they were gone. (or hiding very well)

Pic taken shortly after I bought the pair.

Ldorsigerus2.jpg

Breeding colours and fry.

guardingfry.jpg

They breed every three weeks, but the fry get picked off by the tetras in with them once they are free swimming. By Christmass I'll have three small fry tanks set up for them and my curviceps fry. Bought my Curviceps from Smith's.

Female curviceps, normal colour.

Patroling2.jpg

Female guarding eggs the next day, she gets really dark blue.

005.jpg

Her mate is hard to photograph. He's hiding in the back of the planted pot.

007.jpg