Shanoz

To drill or not to drill, that is the question?!?!?!?!

Hey Guys & Gals,

Just wondering if anyone could help me here? I am currently building up my newly aquired 6'L x 18"W x 2'H tank and i'm about to purchase myself a Fluval FX5 to filter it. My Question is about the piping and mounting etc etc...... My tank was purchsed second hand and the Seller had aquired this from Aquariums R Us. Where the lids sit on the supports of the tank they come flush to all edges so there is "NO" corner holes to say run piping or air lines or even power cords from any of the corners (BOO HOO). So do you think it will be easier to have the tank Drilled or lids cut to run all of this, or even cut some of the support in the corners, as i would like my pipe work to be as close to the edges of the tank as possible and not over hang in there by an inch or two as the lid supports cause this problem.......

I'll post somepics tonight when i can to help my jibber jabber above!!

So if you have any tips, ideas or solutions, your help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks,

Shanoz

Just buy a glass cutter, like $12 from bunnings & nip some of the lid off.

Luckily for you the FX5 comes with sweeeet brackets that will clip onto & over the ARU style of tank with no room for a U bend in the normal type of cannister pipe. So then you will be home & hosed.

Good luck!

Craigo quite honestly your better off cutting the lids with the $10 note or $2 coin LOL

Cheap cutters are just that Cheap but you wouldn't buy a dear one for a couple of lids

I think what Shanoz means is the rail goes round and is in the way of the pipe in the corner

Pics will confirm this or not as the case may be

It would be a lot harder to cut the rail than the lids and a lot easier to cut the lids than drill the tank

Post some pics and I will try to help you more

Fish junkie

Just going off experience as both my displays are ARU ( I was given second hand) & I know the FX5 comes with clips that fit perfect over the bracing that does not have the corner holes.

I have cut lids with a cheap cutter but suit yourself.

Hey Guys, Didn't get a chance to take pics last night as i had my band practise getting ready for tonights BIG show, will post as soon as i can and let you know. Sppreciate the help!! :)

and take junkies earlier advice, cheap cutters are no good. well thats what I found anyway. The money I spent on it would have paid for 2 new lids lol.

Thanks FJ, i will let you know as soon as my FX5 arrives from o'seas ( btw so cheap to buy from the states - brand new with media $380 delivered). Kasman, i surely will as i have never cut glass before and i don't want to make a mess of it!!! Thanks again guys!! :) :) :) :)

( btw so cheap to buy from the states - brand new with media $380 delivered)

it will be 240v wont it????? the states is 120v, and wont even plug in here..

Yep, I have read on another forum there can be problems with stuff from the states, even when they provide the adapter. However, I cannot speak from experience in this case, and, like any product, there are exceptions to the "rule"... so good luck with your yank filter and I hope it lives up to your expectations :)

Thanks guys. After emailing them they said everything would be fine for Australia, so yeah fingers crossed!!! You cam find it on a site named after a River in Sth America!!! ;)

Shanoz, just make sure it includes the transformer/resistor or what ever its called that actually reduces the power. I had a problem with an Xbox I bought from Canada. I had the adaptor but the adaptor didn't include the transformer so as soon as I plugged the xbox into power and flicked the switch, I could smell this strange burning smell....

Yeah i have had a look down there but they were over the $400 mark, i'm still waiting on my confirmation from the supplier whether itrs 240v or 120v and if it comes with adaptors etc etc..... I would definately rather buy here in Oz then from the USA (of all people) and definately locally. I have seen Corbii selling his for $250 today, maybe that might be the go too?!?!?!?

i brought an fx5 off ben from age of aquariums cheaper than that,$350 gotta do ya home work mate

LPL84, i just spoke with Ben at AOM and he said that they are $495 + Media, so as for homework they are not even close!!

FX5 from overseas can be sold to me for 240v but it's pretty much the same price here, otherwise i could buy the 120v USA version and add an adaptor. Bugger that, time to find a cheap one here!!! Can anyone help me?!?!?!?!

that would be rrp of corse hes going to give u that price over the phone,

yeah iv still got my receipt im sure russ over at redlands was doing

good prices for forum members at the time so i then went to ben and he mopped the floor with russes prices as he said ha ha , musnt like him or something :egrin: