LEG-IT

Eheim compact 5000+ or Laguna max flo 6000 and filter media recommendation

hey folks,

just need your recommendations/opinions on each of these Products and if its possible which one i should get.

Little bit of info about the tank i am about to size it on.

Its a 4x2x2 with a 2.5ft sump, planning on filling it with 4-6liters of matrix, 5 liters of clay balls, 6 liters of mr aqua porous rings, Pot scrubbies and some mech. Also head height will be roughly around 1.3m.

And yes i know more flow doesn't necessarily equal better filtration.

How much bio media will i need to have in order to have a sustainable and better biological filtration? or perhaps i shall use a pump with a less powerful water flow?

Tank will be for south Americans, pump will eventually be used on a 6x2x2. That is why i am opting for pump with a stronger output

Cheers

Jono

P.s what other filter media can you recommend?

or what should i pack the sump with

and yes i know the flow might be abit harsh but will reduce the flow output.

Edited by LEG-IT

lol josh, aite if i do get one i'll tell you how it goes mate.

Wonder how loud it is, from reviews i've seen its possibly one of the best value for money pump avaliable

Hi Johno, can I recommend you PM Kenster & talk to him about pumps as he has in my opinion, the best pumps & the best energy efficient pumps.

Good luck bud.

*I would personally use scoria instead of matrix just as good with out the HUGE price tag.

I run a laguna 7500. Haven't had any problems wit it since i bought it. ( About 1 year ago )

Even 6000L on a 6x2x2 is one hell of a turn over.

But i spose that could still allow for another upgrade in tank size in the future.

=)

I'm starting to think if i should just buy a separate pump later on for the 6ft lol,

what pump would be ideal for my tank size and sump?

i have 2x overflow holes at the back

IMG_8056.jpg

what bulkhead would i need?

the hole is 50mm in diameter.

noob question but do i buy a 25mm bulkhead or 50mm bulkhead?

can the water drain back fast enough?

also can the laguna flow be reduced or not?

and how loud is it jaypee?

thanks guys appreciate it

42 mm bulk head for a 50mm hole maybe ?? not to sure on that one sorry.

The laguna pump is pretty quiet. It's more vibration but a piece of filter foam under it and no hoses touching the sump will solve that problem.

Don't know about reducing the flow. You could just have a pipe that bypasses your tank and goes to the sump.