bidkev

Dedicated to fishy photography

In view of the many questions I've received regarding my fish pics on the forum, I decided to put some pages over to fish photography on my web site.

Although I've been a pro photographer in another life, shooting the usual crap such as weddings, portraits, corporate events and stock etc, my focus has been for a while now, on presenting my interpretations of what I see/feel, as opposed to simply "capturing a moment in time"...............ie I can do what I want instead of chasing the bucks.

I have to say, that fish photography has become a real challenge in presenting it how I would like to, and I have not yet fully mastered the technique of isolating the fish from it's environment. In fact, it's the hardest photographic assignment that I've ever undertaken.

Anyways, There's some info on this page as to how I am "getting there" that may help those who have DSLR's and would also like to achieve what I am still chasing. There'll be more pics to follow.

THROUGH MY EYES

kev

excellent link on your site there kev.....i like all the info on the steps you took to get where you are now....and its totally paid off......so well done :)

also some really pretty pics there on your site too of the landscapes etc, the colors are so bright makes me want to go on a holiday!! lol

cant wait for more in the future <3

Very nice job Kev. I enjoyed the read too as it really set the mood in your lead up til now. Like all things, you only get out what you put in and you have portrayed that well.

I would probably be throwing your mark on the images though my friend. Especially showing them at that resolution. Nothing worse than your hard work being the credit of someone else.

Cheers.

Very nice job Kev. I enjoyed the read too as it really set the mood in your lead up til now. Like all things, you only get out what you put in and you have portrayed that well.

I would probably be throwing your mark on the images though my friend. Especially showing them at that resolution. Nothing worse than your hard work being the credit of someone else.

Cheers.

Thanks Brent. The images are only at 70 res. Other than online, they couldn't do much with 'em unless?.......... (you got me thinking so I did a test).........................Now I'm worried.........................I just upped a 70 res pic to 300 with genuine fractals. On the computer screen I can't see any difference between that and the original pic from Raw to JPG at 300 res <scratches head>. Do you think that makes it printable? Is genuine fractals that good?

kev

Nice shots there. Much easier now with digi as you get instant feedback. You can really appreciate the skill in guys like Ad who do it underwater.

I had been toying with the idea to get folk to submit pics in order to get some posters going to re-inject some stimulus into the hobby and return satisfaction to the contributors for the exercise. Credit will be given to each photographer. There must be members out there in the digi-film-house and print business to offer a discount on layout and printing (or donate their time and resources)? The proceeds will be distributed to those involved with sales discounted to forum members and bulk sales offered to retailers. Just throwing the idea out there...... something that QLDAF can put a stamp on as a collective group.

Nice shots there. Much easier now with digi as you get instant feedback. You can really appreciate the skill in guys like Ad who do it underwater.

I had been toying with the idea to get folk to submit pics in order to get some posters going to re-inject some stimulus into the hobby and return satisfaction to the contributors for the exercise. Credit will be given to each photographer. There must be members out there in the digi-film-house and print business to offer a discount on layout and printing (or donate their time and resources)? The proceeds will be distributed to those involved with sales discounted to forum members and bulk sales offered to retailers. Just throwing the idea out there...... something that QLDAF can put a stamp on as a collective group.

Thanks Brent. The images are only at 70 res. Other than online, they couldn't do much with 'em unless?.......... (you got me thinking so I did a test).........................Now I'm worried.........................I just upped a 70 res pic to 300 with genuine fractals. On the computer screen I can't see any difference between that and the original pic from Raw to JPG at 300 res <scratches head>. Do you think that makes it printable? Is genuine fractals that good?

kev

For some, it is a good enough res to print out. Not that would be a problem for the average Joe blow. My main concern is other sites stealing and using the image at their own free will to make a profit. I have been amazed how often it happens. Take the site you made me aware of the other day using my images. So far I have found a total of 22 pages within that site which make use of my images illegally. Some pages are making use of the image to sell a product or to condone practices that I would never be part of. Hence a few threatening emails to the site owner and also an email to the site host to make them aware of the copyright breach. Having a watermark on the image or embedded within the metadata makes it easier to prove it is not their work should it require legal action.

For some, it is a good enough res to print out. Not that would be a problem for the average Joe blow. My main concern is other sites stealing and using the image at their own free will to make a profit. I have been amazed how often it happens. Take the site you made me aware of the other day using my images. So far I have found a total of 22 pages within that site which make use of my images illegally. Some pages are making use of the image to sell a product or to condone practices that I would never be part of. Hence a few threatening emails to the site owner and also an email to the site host to make them aware of the copyright breach. Having a watermark on the image or embedded within the metadata makes it easier to prove it is not their work should it require legal action.

Gotcha Brent. I'll get on it.

Have you heard of TinEye? Plugins - TinEye It's still in it's infancy but once it builds up a database it should be useful. It's already found a couple of images of mine.

good work as per usual kev.

i've looked at your site previously and have shown my mum (she's abit of a photography nut too) and we both reckon the shots are all beautifully composed and taken.

Would there be any chance of greenterra and yourself getting together and doing a photography "masterclass" for all us noob photographers out there?

I'd be more interested in learning some of the techniques you guys use in taking those beautiful landscape shots

Cav

good work as per usual kev.

i've looked at your site previously and have shown my mum (she's abit of a photography nut too) and we both reckon the shots are all beautifully composed and taken.

Would there be any chance of greenterra and yourself getting together and doing a photography "masterclass" for all us noob photographers out there?

I'd be more interested in learning some of the techniques you guys use in taking those beautiful landscape shots

Cav

Thanks Cav and I'd love to, but with the missus being a nurse working shifts, and me a carer, I don't really get much time for landscapes nowadays. Apart from that, I'm pretty unconventional in how I present my work. I focus more on how I feel about a landscape as opposed to just making a photographic record. Sounds a bit pretentious to some, I'll guess, but hey! Having the freedom to do what you want, and pleasing self as opposed to conforming to the "craft" is worth plenty to me.

These 4 pics along with accompanying text, probably sum it up

These two denote the sadness at losing the valleys and the wildlife within, and a straight shot just wouldn't convey that. I passed by earlier in the day and then again at sunset THROUGH MY EYES

http://www.bidkev.com/oz53.php

This one.........it was pissing it down but I could imagine what it would look like on a cold morning with the mist rising off the lake just as the sun was coming up. If I had been there on such a morning then a straight shot would have sufficed, and that's where pro landscape photographers succeed. They're patient and they know and wait for the events that they want to capture. They know where the sun rises and sets and know from weather patterns just how bright/coloured it will be, but not everyone, myself included has the time and means to be in a certain place at a certain time, although I managed to go back to the same location in the first examples I've given above. THROUGH MY EYES

This one..............a straight black and white or colour shot simply wouldn't indicate "antiquity"............the vehicle would simply look like a rust bucket in any old field. Strangely enough, this pic has been one of my best sellers, particularly as a card. I'm guessing there's a lot of IH enthusiasts out there THROUGH MY EYES

Reading's the way to go mate., when you're starting out. Plenty of good photography books in Brizzy libraries, but feel free to pm me with any specific questions.

kev

Edited by bidkev

great work though Kev,

I would love to be able to be as good at photography.

I might have to get you over one evening to take some nice shots of some of my fish.

I only have 1 digital camera apart from the one on my IPhone - enough said lol.

When I grow up, I'd like to get a nice pro camera and learn how to use all the settings