Interesting question....

There are two variants some people believe three of the Cyphotilapia's.

The Kingoma is actually supposed to be the only true variant of Frontosa.

Then the Burrundi and I think Karvala and there are others (apparently all names from their collections points) the lighter colored variants (some with yellow trims) are meant to be sp "North"

Then all the southern variants are Gibberosa, so you're Moba's Kapampa, Mpimbwe, Kitumba, Ikola etc

Some people believe that you can put them in a tank and they will not be interested in each other as they have different behaviours and subtly different features...

But in saying that not that long ago when Cypho's weren't legally importable people were said to be breeding 7 bars with 6 bars (kingoma's and burundi's as there wasn't much more here not commonly anyways) and had some with 6 bars on one side and 7 of the other... So they said.

This is nature and when it needs to it will find a way of breeding so I would say they would for sure but wrote this long blurb so I don't get hammered by some of the punters on here that just like to argue :D

Edited by 240zed

Google knows more then anyone :D

Long story short split them up, split up anything that is closely related!

The worst thing breeders can do is start creating hybrids or not knowing exactly where this fry came from and who the parents are...

We aren't getting the new blood in that we need to preserve the quality that we we have. So people need to take responsibility in how they keep breed and sell fish.

Otherwise just have nice displays and keep it all and let nature take it's course :D

Edited by 240zed

i have seen a fronny that has 6 bar in one side and seven bars one the other so what does that tell you?

i've also seen some that had only five bars...LOL

anything possible...a shag is a shag, cant really watch them 24 hrs can you?

Anyway, if you can and want to breed fish for resell etc...try to aim for species only tank! Then select the best to breed with the best and so on....

On display tank...who give a toss, its your fish...you keep what ever you like!