kasman

Keeping a single american in a tank??

Hey guys

Im in the fun process of planning a nice big american tank.

Going through a few different stocking senarios.

I remember when I was a teenager, I had a friend who had a red devil all alone in a tank. With a bit of gravel in the bottom and nothing else. It might have been only a thin 4fter 8O (cringe).

But back then (it seems a long time ago) all I remember is this fish swimming mindlessly back and forth like a robot. It didnt seem to have a personality or mind of its own at all. Bored to oblivian. Nothing to stimulate its senses :(.

So I'd like to know what people think of keeping a large american alone in a tank?

A nice tank of course, apropriately decorated with lots of room.

Does anyone have this with a fish?? Is the fish happy :) without other tankmates?

I had a red devil when I was younger by himself

I bought a plant to decorate his 4 footer

And no he did not like it :D

Allways dug it out grabbed in his mouth and pulled it out even with a big rock on it lol

He had a great personality and loved his pats :D

But as for tank mates I didn't try

I find if you grow a fish by himself he will get a personality that way :)

i had a devil got to a whopping 10 inches then i had school camp and mum was looking after him HEAPPPS of personality really depends onm what u get i say devils and oscars have the most but thats my opinion!

Hey Kasman. I have a monster festae boy chilling in a tank by himself, if you find the right fish & set the tank up a big american can look stunning by himself.

mind you, if I could find him a girlfriend that would make me & him pretty happy.

I had a big devil probably just shy of a foot when I first started keeping cichlids. I think he gained his stimulation through

interacting with me and my family. I'd say that most fish don't get the stimulation they deserve, but it is part of the hobby.

a glass tank with some decor hardly provides much stimulation for fish compared to the wild. You kinda have to accept it or not.

I do feed my fish live food often though to stimulate them as much as I can.

Agree with Sarah, put a fair bit of rock in your tank, chuck in 15-20 feeder shrimp and he/she will have plenty of fun picking them off when they come out there hiding spots around the tank.

i had my big ass dovii pair just by themselves, he knocked most of his teeth on the glass trying to bite me and just about everything moving around his tank now i put them in a community tank and he surprisingly calmed down to a peaceful fish

Hmm, thats a great point you make there Sarah. Even fish in a community tank may not get the stimulation they deserve.

One fish in a tank to itself may end up better off in that sense as it gets alot more attention from its owner.

I have thought about a pair of "something', but I really dont want the extra potential stress of them occasionally not getting along and having to use dividers etc. Seeing my little female ram get chased around is enough :lol: ! haha, and her mate is real nice to her too. (Although I will be keeping my Gold Saums in a species tank on their own... fingers crossed)

Feeders are a good idea, rather than just having to catch a sinking pellet a few times a day :roll:.

oh and fishbee, what s in with your Dovii pair and what size tank?? I know bidkev also has a pair successfully kept in a community aswell.

ok, so from what has been said, Im starting to think that a lone fish isnt so bad.

Edited by kasman

i wouldnt give em feeder unless you raise em yourself and your fish will be picky and dont worry about stimulating big americans, your fingers and their own reflections are enough stimulations they need.

the doviis are in a 7x 2.5x 2.5 with their babies and a horde of other fish

Buy a pair of convicts or brazzies. free feeders with minimal effort. My fish are lucky that i'm so strict with

culling my jds. They get plenty of feeders that way.

but feeders arent always fish. Consider breeding giant mealworms or cockroaches like i do. Provides

plenty of stimulation and costs next to nothing. Even buy a container of any insect from your local pet store.

crickets are great too!

thanks guys.

I have tank full of mbuna, so feeders wont be a prob. Dont want the hassle of selling fry :).

fishbee, your dovii have fry in a community!! I never would have thought that. From what Iv heard on here though , Dovii arent ALWAYS the violent trouble makers they are made out to be. It seems to depend on the individual fish.

no they didnt breed in the comm. tank, its their babies from the previous spawn, they are bidkev's siblings so not exactly babies anymore lol, i call them babies coz they are some of the smallest in the tank