townsvillebrad

elec yellows wont breed

i recently had my colony of yellows in my 4 foot display and they were breeding, about 6-7 weeks ago i got them there own tank 2.5 foot and hoped they would breed for me even more, but its almost as if they have all lost interest, the males pec fins have faded nearly white and his colour is no where near as bright, there a couple b/nose in with them but i didnt think it worry them? PH is prety right, and just have a sponge filter, any suggestions to try and get em to breeed?? oh and i do 20% water changes every week. plenty of hidey holes and calcium carbonate substrate. do they breed better with just an empty tank??

I would pm someone like DFishkeeper or GTR73 for their advice. Two real gentlemen in the hobby who I'm sure will give you some good, useful information on breeding yellows and the like.

Regards

Peter :)

its a 30inchx 18 x18. its not over crowded anyway. one male 9cm and four females 6cm. and another little 4 bout 4cm. ill try adding a few more hidey holes. i feed them HBH breeder conditioner and new life spectrum and some blood worms everynow and again, might just have to be a bit more patient hey?

id say it mite be small tank syndrome, a lot of fish,if grown up in a larger tank with other fish, are put in a smaller tank by them selves sometimes take a lot longer to adapt to the new tank, and some times wont even breed in the small tank. just feed and treat them the way you were in the larger tank and spoil them a little bit more with brine shrimp or blood worms and a few more water changes. hth :P

Have you tested your water? Might be a good idea to and post up the results. More often than not its the simple answer.

Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, GH, KH, PH would be the main ones. I always check phosphate now as I just about lost some to that hidden killer.

i have changed the tank around bu putting more rocks and hidey holes in there for them. the old tank just had a light with a gro lux tube in it and no direct sunlight, the new tank there in gets a tiny bit of sunlight. as for ph and all that i onlt really tend to check the PH and its around 8ish. i didnt think i would have to bother too much with all the others as i do regualr water changes and do not overfeed.

:roll: Ok, good luck fish, those are the basis of good fish keeping. Not knowing your water is like a deaf mute going to the doctor and trying to get advice, Pretty hard to figure out whats happening.

After all your trying to breed them, not just keep them alive (I would test my water if I was trying to keep them alive)

You will find most LFS will check it for free.

yeah ive just never really relied on all that, just ph and declorinising the water upon water changes. ive bred fish before many times by just doin this. maybe i better get myself a test kit anyway. what do i need just ammonia , nitrate and PH?? would that be sufficiant?

I have one of the master test kits (*plug* sold on my site) but you dont really need all of it, You can just go for a few small ones.

First step would be to take some water into a store, get it all tested and get them to write down the results, dont let them talk you into anything (but do go back to buy what we suggest, they where good enough to test it).

And post that stuff up here, Something as simple as different gravel can alter the water conditions dramatically. Plus it will let you know if your filter is copping all right.

The Hagen master test kit contains testers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Gh, Kh, low range ph, high range ph, phosphates, iron and calcium (we only use ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, gh, kh and high range ph testers). Brad did have them on sale for $119. pm motorman about it or call 0755 273545 He is on the gold coast.

Here is a link for the one Grum has http://fishsupplies.com.au/index.php?ma ... cts_id=234. He would be able to tell you more about it as i dont know much about these kits

It just depends on what you want to test and how much you want to spend.

There is a large price difference between the two so choose the one that will best suit your needs. Sorry if i stepped on your toes grum :?

Josh

No thats ok, Aquariums Alive a QLDAF supporter aswell, (sure I could match him, if you need it shipped that is, local get brads lol) I can do the Hagen master test kit aswell, Just havent got it up at the momment.

The master basically does all your saltwater aswell, and includes a fair few more tests I.E (GH/KH)

Both are good value for money IMO,

Water quality aside, I found that having a couple of males in there works real well, as it increases competition. Not only that, a male on his own will hound any females in the tank, and make them really uninterested in breeding. Another male in there will give him something else to chase. In your case, it sounds like water quality might be your problem, but its a handy tip in any case.

Dave