So everyone knows about cold water changes in American cichlid tanks.

It's suppose to induce breeding, but one thing I have noticed is no one actually specifies HOW COLD?

So my question is how cold should it be?

The actual definition of cold?

A couple of degrees under the tanks temp?

5 degrees under?

20 degrees?

Is it just cold ran into the bucket and used?

I know its meant to mimic the rainy season and such but how cold could you say the rain is. Sometimes its warm. And in a tropical climate where these fish come from it could be a multitude of temperatures.

I'm not a newbie but I'm sure a lot of you might ponder this question.

And the answer I'm sure will help a few new comers and some of the people wanting to breed americans.

Good question chooka, as long as it is a lower temperature than the tank water the fishies will notice it.

I have allways just used water from the tap outside (conditioned of course) straight into the tank & that has induced spawns everytime. Just remember that it is winter & the water out of the tap will be considerably cooler than if you were changing it in summer.

Good luck. What fishies are you trying to breed mate?

thats what i thought as well, ive just being doing it by feel,(it feels a little bit colder so that will do) lol

you use just the cold tap outside. what species have you induced with this method. how cold would you say it is.

ive got some jd's, red forest jewels and some geos, but i think the geos are a bit small.

tank temp is 27.5 and ive got a colony of catfish in a different tank and for the life of me can not get them to breed. i thinks theres about 10 at breeding size.

Are they just bristlenose mate?

Have your JD's paired off?

have you condidtioned any of the fish for breeding? what is their diet?

Are all the fish in the same tank? If you have JD's pair up you will then be rehoming the others pretty fast unless they are ina a massive tank.

haha lol now you've got all the questions :P

bristlenose are in a different tank just for breeding.

jds not a clue theres six in the same tank, they were having a good ol' lip locking sesh yesterday morning. and showin off. was weird though as they were all doing it at the same time next to each other, so all 6 fish in about a 10inch cube of water.

how do you condition fish, feeding on nls nutrafin tropical flakes blood worms algae wafers and scrub worms.

jds geos and rfj are in same tank but will be moving the rfj's soon

if anybody else has any answers to the topic that would be great.

Have your BN been spawning in that tank before? Or are you trying to get them to start now? You usually wont be able get pairs/harems spawning in a new tank until its the warmer months. Regardless of the heaters in the tank. Thats my experience anyway

It also helps to time your waterchanges with atmospheric activity (ie. couple hours before rain) as they also react to Atmospheric pressure. And with Americans, salt......

My missus breeds just about all the bristlenose (now currently working on lf calico) and we moved the breeders recently, the only spawning action in the last 3-4wks since has been in the lf albino tank where I added another female, and of course there were eggs in under 48hrs. Generally speaking though they do slow down a little round this time of year, just make sure you have 1 log for each male in the tank and some reccomend a spare in there aswell.