notmoretanks

new 5' grow out tank too big??

Hi all, I just scored a 5x2x2 tank. I am planning on using it for a grow out tank for cories, whiptails and BN's. My question - at the moment I only have maybe 70 fry all up, do I need it 2 foot deep or would a foot of water suffice? Any tips advise appreciated..

Thanks

in my opinion fill er up if nothing else age the water and use it for water changes or starting new tanks im always shifting water from one to another to start new tanks and for big water changes makes things much more stable

peter

Yea more the better, But you all know its a myth that bacteria is in water, moving old water from one tank to another does nothing to boost the filter, the only advantage would be that if you had an existing filter you could get fish in straight away, I would still do 50/50 old and new.

bacteria are microsopic. small particals of waste + food are flowing thru the water all the time no matter how crystal clear it appears to the naked eye. as particals are stirred off the bottom thru water flow and fish activity so goes with it bacteria. bacteria will also grow in powerheads and be pushed out with water flow as well.

yeah there are some in the water, but nothing compared to what is attached to the gravel, filter media etc. using water will do next to nothing compared to using gravel or media from an existing tank to feed and cycle the new tank

Yup correct,

There are some in the water, but they will make no impact to seed a new tank, pretty much pointless to do it.

If they where heavy in the water you would be throwing away half your bacteria every time you do a water change lol.

wasn't suggesting that there is plenty enough to colonise healthy bio system but mature water is better than fresh you would agree. and yes I would use filter waste and siphon from the depths of gravel to kick along cycling. just the way you worded it grum. not looking for an argument, you know alot more about the hobby than me. :D

Mate im not looking to go against anyone,

Im always learning myself, and im often asked to name fish, which 90% of the time I fail.

But I dont personally think that aged/old water has any advantage apart from allowing the fish that are used to that water be able to settle quicker than normal.

I was mearly trying to say that aged water should not be used as a means to quick start a tank or filter.

But im flatered that you think I know more about the hobby than others, I was a newbie like everyone not so long ago, im just trying to help where I can.