discus_noob

Treatment of Native Moss and Shrimp to make safe for aquarium use?

Hi guys,

Just curious what people would be doing with native moss and shrimp to make it safe for aquarium use. First of all quarantine tank would be a must (obviously) but what else would you guys be using?

Wanting a wide range of peoples thoughts on this issue as some people choose to just dump the shrimp in and the moss in and not worry, some just simply wash the moss out under a tap and in a bucket with prime, and others I have heard of quarantine (safest option) in a tank for a week however do not treat the tank for anything and just dump them in. Dips for the moss like Potassium permanganate and hydrogen peroxide dips would probably kill the native moss? What is the chance of these things carrying nasties in reality (we hear people say they carry all sorts of nasties and some willingly dump them into tanks with expensive shrimp all the time with no treatment).

I am not wanting a flame thread just wanting peoples experiences and the processes in which they go to?

I guess if you wanted to be sure you could give them a strong salt water bath followed by a soak in some metro/melafix/pimafix. I guess there are a couple other things that you could also use for plants, but as for livestock a quarantine tank would be the safest option and I personally would use a 1 month quarantine period. I guess there are people out there like brissy that have livestock that can be purchased with spare change, but when it comes to your tanks adam where your livestock in one tank is more than the average mans paycheck I would be over cautious!!!!

we have a 500ltr tub that you get from bunnings, we have a bio-filter running in it, also some goldfish and a few swordys, we dump the plants in it and leave it there, as of yet we haven't used it yet, but we have a couple nice water lillys growing in it, :)

Hey guys they are actually just some glass shrimp adam and i collected on the weekend along with some moss. Im thinking just the quarantine tank with hte shrimp but yer im not sure of moss yet :S

thanks guys

hey mate what i do is get it from the growing tanks and them into my quarantine tank. hit all my plants with a good snail rid for the 1st week 2week hit it with WARDLEY PROMETHYASUL, let it sit in that then hit it with a salt bath just to make sure any unwanted nastys are gone.. then into the holding tank awaiting sale. takes time but last thing u want is for your plants to kill yeah fish.

H2O2 is the best, but obviously you have to be careful.

A quick bathe will not kill the moss or the shrimp. Repeat it over a couple of days.

Kills snail eggs, bacteria, parasites etc and is fun to watch