Bogan8r

Fish losing colour

Hi guys

Just a quick one. I always buy really colourful good quality fish and for some reason within a couple of days to a week they seem to lose there colour. Like firemouths lose the red as such. I'm wondering if it has something to do with having white substrate? Or would it be food related.

I feed them bloodworms brine shrimp, and aqua munch sinking pellets.

Any ideas?

Cheers Luke

Edited by Bogan8r

It could be food related, what's in the food cause certain things bring out reds ( astaxanthin) where as foods rich in spirulina tend to bring out the blues more,

What type of water are you keeping them in?

Firemouths are a ca cichlid if my memory serves me right, so while they will do all right in softer acidic waters, they will look better and thrive more in harder water of a neutral PH

Hth

Cav

Na it's ALL my fish I'n that tank are lacking there dominant colour like my Araguaia aren't showing much green or orange they're very plain but weren't before. My waters ph is 5.8, and don't have a hardness test.

Edited by Bogan8r

Your waters too acidic, they (firemouths) like harder neutral water like rivs,

Put him in a tank at a higher ph and it'll make a difference

Cav

Here's a link about the firemouth, where you can see what water conditions they are best suited to

http://fish.mongabay.com/species/Cichlasoma_meeki.html

Edited by __CAV__
Link added

How brightly lit is your tank?

What's the size and exact stocklist of the tank?

is it the 4 ft in ur sig?

Maybe you should decide what you want to do with the tank,

I suggest making a single species tank and getting tankmates who all come from habitats with similar water conditions and go from there.

Here's an example,

I have 12 araguaia, 5 sevs, 3 peruvians, a scalare angel, and a brachy in my 7.5 ft, it's got no light on it, the only light it gets is natural light or when the room light is on, it's got a ph of 6, the water is relatively soft.

All of the fish look awesome and they only went in the tank yesterday (the wc araguaia even look like they might breed in the next few days)

All of the fish come from that same similar setting - a blackwater setting, Which are low ph, soft water, low light due to tannins in the water.

Try to replicate the environment the fish are actually from and if you give them a suitable environment, they will look alot nicer.

Anyway Hth

Cav

Theres acidic water, and then theres soft acidic water. I would suspect your kh and gh are way to low for both species. Geos idealy need a slight ready of kh and firemouths thrive in kh of around 4-5 degrees.

I'd guess all of the above, different water conditions, light, decor, food and substrate to what the LFS used?

Maybe ask the shop what they were doing to for them to look so good as in food and what their water is like and change your set up or gravel.

Agreed with Ronny and CAV mate. How soft is your water with such an acidic water like that? How are you bringing it down to a low pH? Also yeah the white substrate could be a factor in it. Have you tried drying out leaves or using almond leaves on the substrate to see if that helps or instead of white sand maybe use some brickies sand that is a more earthy colour? Lighting could be too bright maybe try use some amazon frogbit on the surface to dim the lighting and tannins help bring out the colour in the apistos and also the same was said for my geos when I had them. Have you tried mixing their food up lots and using hikari and sera foods (my two favorites)? More driftwood could help and more actual shelters and places to hide could also help. Your tank is very open and plain if I remember correctly? Giving them more shelter and more nooks and crannies and more root structure not just on the bottom but throughout top middle and bottom of the tank will help. Or another alternative as sad as this sounds maybe add some colour through fake plants and other bits and pieces (yep I said it). I can give you a HEAP of native Val that is very thin if you wanted?

I don't add anything to alter ph it is what it is, probably the drftwood. Checked this morning with the lights off and the firemouths have lots of colour. I'd say it's probably the light reflection off the sand or something. I'll try and add more darker things I'n the tank n see

The background is black lol. I put my Araguaia I'n a tank with same water parameters but with browny sand and that made a huge difference to her colour. So I'd say that's the problem. I love the white sand but lol it looks so clean