Hi all I have caught the fish bug and suddenly have no time to do anything else.I am trying to build a set up with multiple tanks and a sump. I have been reading a lot of old threads on design but still have a few questions. The first is how do I size the bulkheads? From what I read larger is better and create less noise. Is there a problem with over sizing them? My tanks range in size from 4x2x2 to as small as 1x1x1 The second question is I plan to breed bristlenose so I thought I would run a small return line down to the bottom of the tanks to create movement at the bottom of the tanks to limit the build up on the tanks does this make sense? Any other advise would be great

Hey sparky,

I'm not to sure about the bulkhead sizing, except that 25mm seems to be the standard. as for the return to the bottom of the tanks, i personally think this is a great idea! I've got a 40L/hr pump in one of my tanks piped up to multiple outlets run throughout the substrate to keep the water circulating. you might be able to do something similar with some irrigation pipe..

being that b.n's make lots of mess i have always drilled from the base and put a riser pipe in the tank x2 and then put a sleeve over the riser and drill the base of the sleeve with 2-3 mm holes and let it take all the mess away from the bottom as well as the top with the second riser

bulkhead size depends on flow rate personally i'd rather use a 32mm than a 25 only because you can later on upgrade the pump without spending millions on re plumbing the whole system