I always thought snookie had got these scars from banging the lids when feeding. He's had 'em a while and has always appeared healthy and eats well.

snooky.jpg

He hasn't eaten now for 3 weeks since the tank was disturbed and I now notice some other scars under his chin and near his eyes. I'm wondering if this is HITH? Oscar and Geo (both renown for HITH) in the same tank, have none of this scarring. Your thoughts please? Parameters OK except for Nitrates which I have never managed to get below 30ppm in this tank

snookie.jpg

snookie-1.jpg

Edited by bidkev

hole in the head mate, do u have carbon in your filter if so i would remove it? "never use feeders" fish not eatting? u could try seachem GarlicGuard which might help renew the interest of poor or finicky eaters your fish for instant isnt eating at all so u could give it a try. i would probly do 80% water changes a week if you can. go buy hith medication and see if in aweek it clears up. go put a uv light in the tank if you have one and let it run during the day for about 6hrs/day.

Edited by jpcqw

hole in the head mate, do u have carbon in your filter?

No, for the exact reason that it's been linked to HITH. I'm at a loss as to why he's got it when the others haven't...............they're supposedly more susceptible than him...............must be stress?

from what I have read metro is the only treatment. Heximita is the bacteria that causes this. It is often bought on via a couple factors with the most common being stress. The only way to treat this is to treat the tank. If you need some metro let me know :)

Thanks Brocky but I don't think heximita. Don't give feeders, so i can't have introduced it, and the other fish are fine. There's no definitive answers on HITH as fish have been found with it whilst not having heximita. I tend to think that some cichlids are more susceptible to nitrates which, in this tank, I've never got below 30 despite 50% water changes weekly

Edited by bidkev

yea stress would be my first thought some extra info if u want it just remember that you can never really find away to prevent it completly but knowing how to get rid of it is the key. tank size and tank mates?

The facts of Hith

Oscar 20cms

Snookie 18cms

Severum 15cms

Geophagus 20cms

Sailfin Plec 18cms

2 x filamentosa barbs 8cms

Flitration Fluval FX5 & 405

6x2x2

kev

Edited by bidkev

I Salt bathed my oscar twice a day when i was in the same position as you. It wouldnt eat due to the stress of being removed from his tank, but it sealed the hith up in a few days and it started eating again

I had four german blue rams when I was a newbie and all four succumbed to what I think was HITH - only they were affected but they died one after another and their heads looked alot like what is pictured here. But of course I am no expert.

Ah, thats bad luck mate. I've lost a couple of big americans to HITH in the past, big oscars and a red devil..despite my best efforts. Personally I'm not sure I would even try and treat it anymore.

is he/she getting bullyed at all? maby when the lights go off at night, causes alot of stress to a fish.

I don't think so. I put a large fenny in the tank that was getting beaten up in another tank. Of course, the oscar was onto the fenny almost immediately and as it was in the evening I turned the lights off straight away to settle things down. I removed the fenny the following morning and from that moment, snook stopped eating and more holes started appearing a couple of days later. They are not raw wounds and they look more like scars. I can only assume that he's traumatised at seeing oscar beat up fenny and think his turn is next, or else he's stressed out at all the palaver of me trying to catch the fenny up as I had to re-arrange the tank.

Edited by bidkev

Ah, thats bad luck mate. I've lost a couple of big americans to HITH in the past, big oscars and a red devil..despite my best efforts. Personally I'm not sure I would even try and treat it anymore.

Yeah, it's a bummer mate 'cause I don't lose fish as a rule. HITH is just one of those things that nobody can really put a finger on. I'm not one for treating a whole tank of fish if only one is sick either. ............."if it's still running, don't lift the bonnet" is my motto. The fact that Oscar's and large Geos are notorious for their susceptibility, and that neither of them is affected, has me baffled. As one of the mooted causes is long term exposure to nitrates I'm guessing oscars and geos are relatively immune where nitrates are the cause, and that snookie is more susceptible to nitrates?................I've never been able to get 'em below 30 in that particular tank.

Ask for help in th cichlid section off mfk . I've read hith can be caused by lack off variety in food .. And also read off cases were they've done everything right yet hith still appears

Well, the HITH is no better but he's finally started feeding again after 5 weeks abstinence. Whatever plssed him off seems to be in the past.

Hope he gets better. I know its a terrible situation but thankyou for the good detailed photos. we were looking for what it would look like about a week ago and it was hard to find photos that were that clear.

Can't be nitrates, well could be a contributing factor, but I have an adult crabro male which I think may have hith and I have zero nitrates. I am going to switch to a higher quality food and try vary the diet a little more with something else to see if it will stop the hith going any further...

i was once told it is a lack of vegetation and too much meat based products in their diet and a process to help them fight it off was to feed them pees to boost/stabilize their diet again. i dont know how or what u feed yours, but i know i wasnt feeding my RD enough vege. So when i started the vege diet - over about a month or so the scars were fading! good luck HTH

*edit- It got to a point were my RD didnt even want to eat what i used to give him, i think i turned him into a vego.

Edited by juzz

Well, the HITH is no better but he's finally started feeding again after 5 weeks abstinence. Whatever plssed him off seems to be in the past.

Sounds like my 2yr old son.

He'd cut of nose to spite his face if you know what I mean.

Well, an update. His last feed was one pellet and he hasn't eaten since. He's got feeders in the tank and he just ain't interested.

For those worried about fish when they go on holiday.............don't! he's gone 16 weeks on just one pellet and surprisingly enough, he doesn't seem to have lost any weight. Dunno how long he can carry on though?

kev

i wouldnt bother.

i went and saw kev on the weekend and he actually looks pretty good considering its been how long since he had eaten,

maybe he's eating on the sly somehow?

cav

ps - kev - i ended up having a great day saturday fishing, got 20 odd bream, we kept the 6 biggest, the smallest was 28cm and largest was 35cm, i also got 2 duskys in the boat, only one was legal tho (62cm, not my pb but the biggest i've got in the last yr or 2), and lost 2 flatties at the boat, both were bigger too, one would have been near a metre so i was shattered about that, but hey thats fishing....

good on ya Cav.............I miss my boat.

Yeah, I know fish can absorb nutrients through their lateral line but I would have thought the bugger would at least have lost some weight having no solids. He's definitely not eaten as their's the same number of gudgeon in there.............in fact, they're getting fatter! :egrin: