Steve_bsc

when to milk a female with a mouthful

I have a female pundamillia nyerei that has been holding for her 15th day now. I was able to catch her and move her into a fry saver divider without any hassles and now I am waiting until I should milk her. How many days would anyone recommend her holding until I milk her? I have read and been told differing lengths of time between 14 to 20 days and I would just like to clarify before attempting this for the first time.

Cheers, Steve.

depends ...

Do you have an egg tumbler ??

If not you will have to check the development of the egg.. If it has head/tail they will be fine to strip now as the fry will survive.

If the egg has not properly developed, then stripping to soon (without a tumbler) will cause the egg to fungus up as there is not adequate water movement.

thank you. No I don't have an egg tumbler yet but I plan on gettin one down the track. what is the best way to check? Should I just observe her over time and wait til she opens her mouth a little or do I have to pull her out? whilst I had planned later to move my parents into a tank on their own to breed when older but I had not intended them breeding within a couple of hours of meeting each other in a community tank so this has caught me a little unprepared. I certainly have learnt for next time.

On the topic of egg tumblers, there are plenty of designs on the net but is it easier just to buy one?

diy quick egg tumbler is cut bottom off 600ml water bottle get some of your missus stockings cut some to fit over bottom pull taught and use rubber band to secure,use heater clip and suction cup,place it on side of tank so the bottle sits 2-3cm above water level,strip ur females eggs siphon them into diy egg tumbler place air stone in top of bottle strategically so the eggs or half formed fry are just swirling around,but not swirling all the way to top,this works a treat just monitor it each day couple of times,i have placed eggs in these things after 5th day holding and lost no fry,but sometimes i have lost a couple but they werent fertilised when i put them in there,this method limits any deformities of female holding to long aswell,hope this helps you.any questions feel free to give me a call 0415056011.

Thank you all for your help. The thing that sets this site apart from others I have encountered is the generosity people have to offer their time and QUALITY advice readily here.

I will build a fry tumbler today and let all of you know how it has gone. Many thanks again.

cheers, steve.

Milked her and the lil buggers were already formed :). the egg tumbler was looking great and is there for the future but now I have just put them straight into a fry saver since they can swim. Only 2 eggs hadn't hatched and there are now approx 30 lil swimmers in the fry saver and one that got away into the tank and was eaten by my Blue orchid.

Only problem I encountered was I accidently dropped her back into the bucket and she picked up some of her fry back up again. I think this excercise will be a hell of alot easier when my female has grown a heap and doesn't have a tiny mouth.

One last question. how long should they stay in the fry saver until I can move them to a new tank. This tank has very similar water but it is not the exact same.

cheers, Steve.