Hey guys, Got some holes drilled in my tanks but they are like 1mm to small for the bulkheads, Am I able to sand the holes out a little to get them to fit? Also what sort of sandpaper do i use ie: type and grit? Im guessing that id have to use some sort of wet and dry.

Rule number one

Check drill bit is the right size for bulkhead ?

There's so many posts on here about holes

For bulkheads it's not funny

Two things

One a diamond file round the edges

Two use a smaller drill bit and use it to file the edges

Make sure with above you use water and next time

Use a cutter 10mm bigger than the bulkhead

Sandpaper is no good it takes the sharp edge off

But wont grind it back

Yeah, Only thing is I didn't drill them and don't have a drill bit and I've already got the bulkheads :(

Didn't you try the BH in the hole when it was cut ?

And if you told them what size BH they should have known

What size to use

I'd be wanting money back or it fixed

FJ

Rule number one

Check drill bit is the right size for bulkhead ?

There's so many posts on here about holes

For bulkheads it's not funny

Two things

One a diamond file round the edges

Two use a smaller drill bit and use it to file the edges

Make sure with above you use water and next time

Use a cutter 10mm bigger than the bulkhead

Sandpaper is no good it takes the sharp edge off

But wont grind it back

As I said, I didn't drill the holes (The bit was a 32mm to do 25 id bulkheads) I couldn't see anything about what to use to enlargen a hole and google didn't have any consistent info so I asked, I don't just ask without doing some research first champ. Thanks for the info

Edited by DVS969

well if i drilled them you wouldn't have that problem. now you have 3 options.

1. sand down the bulk head thread so the it would fit. This means that you will loose some thread on the bulkhead

2. use a diamond file and file the hole bigger. Not Glass has a hardness rating of 7 or so, diamond is 9. You need to use any abrasive object with a higher hardness rating than 7.

3. get me over to redrill the holes.

cheers,

dan

I wouldnt bother try to sand back the glass mate, as it has been said big risk, little reward.

Give Dan a bell mate, he has drilled a heap of tanks for me & fixed prettty much every beginner F-up I have made for me. He will sort you out. easiest option, sublet the job to someone else :):)

Good Luck mate.

efc, it wasn't meant to be a show off comment mate, but if you want to take it that way then help yourself , (especially from someone who doesn't know what to do).

Why do you think he went for a certain size bulk head? you suggest he go smaller? do you know how that will affect the water flow rate of his system?

enough said