Dexter

Best fish for Cycling 8ft tank?

Hi I was just wondering what kind of fish is best for cycling an 8 footer?

I figure it would need to be a bigger fish than used for a smaller tank, bcoz it will need to generate enough poop to start the cycle.

Fish I have on hand at the moment are; they are in the order in which I would choose

Oscars

Green Severum

Blue Acara

Plecos

Rainbow Shark

Spotted Dollars

Clown Loaches

are you just transferring said fish into this tank from an established tank ? if so use the water and filters from this tank on the new tank and its will still cycle but it should in theory cycle faster and not cause as much stress on the fish

are you just transferring said fish into this tank from an established tank ? if so use the water and filters from this tank on the new tank and its will still cycle but it should in theory cycle faster and not cause as much stress on the fish

When I set up any new tank, I always used existing water for the new tank (at lease 60%) with some dacon removed from existing canister to the new one that way I have good bacteria in the new system plus feed them a bit more for the first week or two.

Thanx for the help guys, here what I think I will do.

Swap half the media from my established canister filter with new media.

Then use half of the water from my Established tank

Add the oscars (as they will produce a good amount of ammonia the keep the tank cylcing)

Some move the fish into the 8ft. maybe 1 group a week. LOACHES LAST!

When I set up any new tank, I always used existing water for the new tank (at lease 60%) with some dacon removed from existing canister to the new one that way I have good bacteria in the new system plus feed them a bit more for the first week or two.

Mate i would actually feed a little less so less waste means less of a harmful spike. Otherwise just set up a canister full of media on an existing tank for a few weeks and swap the media over to the new system when changing over.

Otherwise the feeder goldfish is perfect and when its time for the goldfish to go freebies on the forum never last long !!

Dave