Tonight I finally got around to filling up my 3ft tank with substrate and water. I stuck in a heater and decided to throw in a filter that's been an extra in another tank to circulate the water. That was a few hours ago and just now I've realised that I forgot to add Prime.

Have I just totally killed all the bacteria in that filter? It won't be the end of the world if so as no tanks with fish rely on it but it's going to be such a hassle if I have :(

Is there any definitive way to find out?

I am curious to know if in fact this would completely kill the bio-culture you had going?

Had a full tank of juvie kiribs turn over in less than half an hour when I forgot.............they weren't small either..............marketable size.

Depends on a few things.....How long has the filter been in operation before the switch to a New tank....and the media in the filter

Bacteria form a biofilm and the colony can withstand poison....for a while

You may have killed all the bacteria....or if the filter has been operating for some time....you may still have the basis for a new colony in a biofilm

Best check ammonia levels.....but you need to add a source of ammonia and wait a day ....ie dead fish etc

Umm I guess because it wasn't really something I had planned out. The tank had been sitting around for months as a 'future project' when I had spare cash etc (I'm a uni student so getting everything in place for a new tank is a big undertaking for me financially and mostly a very slow process of acquiring bits and pieces) but after moving it on saturday decided I'd get the ball rolling by filling it up from the kitchen sink while doing other things. Chucked the heater and filter in as an after-thought so the water wouldn't be stagnating. I also only have another 2ft and 2.5ft tank so any water from them would basically be a drop in the bucket.

Anyway, my mindlessness aside....

I put the filter back in the other tank before some people's suggestions and scientific curiosity got the better of me. One of my apple snails just died so I threw it in the 3ft tank along with the filter and some fish food to determine once and for all if I killed the bacteria or not. Pipe up if anyone thinks that's not enough to cause a significant spike in ammonia in such a sized tank but I will monitor ammonia over the next couple of days and see what turns up.

I know your not round the corner but if you want a seeded sponge ill swap yours or sell you one

you can even take some water as much as you want

that way you can have your tank online without all the waiting

let me know 0416163078

home today or heading past your way tomorrow if you want to meet up

FJ

Edited by Fish Junkie

Thanks heaps for the offer FJ. I have a couple other filters I can steal sponge from if need be but I'm happy to wait until I can prettify the tank a bit more anyway.

Ammonia 0.5ppm today so I think it's safe to say I killed all the bacteria. Good to know definitively in case (god forbid) it ever crops up again.