lloydashton

Odyssea CFS-1200 2600lph + 9WUV experiences

Hey mate, I haven't had experience with the 1200 but the CFS-700 i have 2 of. Age of Aquariums - Odyssea CFS-700 2600lph + 9w UV

They are exactly the same as far as im aware just not quite as tall so less room for media - pump and UV are the same.

For the price, they can't be beaten IMO for mechanical filtration. I would NOT use one as a stand alone filtration system regardless of tank size. But they are great as an 'extra' or back up filter.

They are a similar head design to a fluval FX5 and pump the same amount of water.

I run two of these for mechanical capabilities and the added advantage of UV on my 8x4x2 with the bio filter sorted by a large pool sand filter. As said above, be gentle with it and look after it, as they are just a cheap chinese copy of an FX5 so they aren't going to last like an Eheim but i've had one for over 12 months know without an issue.

I have 2 of these, the one with UV & the black one without. Before I bought them I found a 14? page review on an American forum about various different modifications.

Two very important factors, to ensure they don't fall apart..... Firstly, the O-rings they've used in the taps are way, way too thick which causes a major problem getting the taps on & off easily, hence the reason so many people get breakages. Trick is to go to plumbing supply store & get same sized 0-rings but half the thickness and the taps will slide on and off like a dream.

Secondly, do NOT do the lid up tightly, only tighten the nuts to finger tight, no more, otherwise lid will crack. As soon as filter start to run it creates a powerful vacuum and the tightness of the nuts is irrelevant.

If you take those 2 steps it will last you for ages without any problems whatsoever. Don't replace the taps o-rings (2 on each pillar) - expect them to snap off first or 2nd use.

I just got a cfs 500. Just hooked it up today, the flow rate is great. I tried to hook up clear tubing but the intake values leaked so I don't think that's a good idea. I put the ribbed tubing that came with it and it stopped leaking. Changed the O rings and put washers on the lid. I read lots about how you can modify the filter sponges but that just will take away the bio load I think. I plan to tie some sponge around the intake hose in the tank as it is huge and will increase the surface area of filtration.