Hey all,

We are looking for some help with our electric yellows. We had 3 in our community tank for months and they were hiding all the time as they were chased constently and beaten up. About a month or so ago we decided to move them out of the tank and into another one of their own (at the expense of our multi breeding colony :( ). However now the larger one (around 7 cms or so) that we think is male chases the smaller two (around 5 cms) and the smaller ones hide behind the heater and sponge filter most of the time. Is there any way we can make them all happy so they swim instead hide.

I was thinking maybe the larger one wants to breed (has been digging out pits/nests in the substrate) with the other two.

The tank has all the same water parameters as their previous tank and has ample hiding place.

Any help would be great.

J&K

Ya sounds like he wants to breed

All i can think of id getting more yellows or moving him till the others get biger

Or you can do this trick i saw the other day

Go out and get your self some comman native rainbows

And that way he will have somthing elce to chase

thay don't look to bad in a tank when thay get to 5 cms+

Thay won't eat the fry from what i have been told. i gess if the fry are around a cm

Good luck

Roo

Hi J & K,

I keep my breeding colonies of electric yellows and maingano together, and as well as looking really good together with the contrast of colours, they seem to settle each other down as well. And with the completely different colours, there is very little chance of any crossbreeding.

Cheers, Doug

I wouldn't have them in a 2 footer at all. They want a bit more space than that. Also plenty of rocks/hiding places, and definitely get more yellows in there and/or other fish. As Roo said, the rainbows are great tank mates for them...I'm sure theres others out there too. But your first step is too get them in a larger tank. No matter what you do, they won't be happy in a tank that small.

Hi J & K,

I keep my breeding colonies of electric yellows and maingano together, and as well as looking really good together with the contrast of colours, they seem to settle each other down as well. And with the completely different colours, there is very little chance of any crossbreeding.

Cheers, Doug

I had a similar setup with my yellows, except I had 5 Acei. Kinda act like "dither fish" and brings the yellows out and start breeding. Now I don't have the Acei, my yellows have gone into hiding again and now not breeding. :(

Mine are in a standard 3ft which is really the smallest you could probably go. As it's too small for any more "dither fish" I'm trying to figure out a way to get the yellows to spawn again, on their own.