Bekkaz

My first fertilised (hopefully!) eggs!

I bought two convicts a few weeks ago, and threw them in a tank together...got home from work today and they have eggs! I'm not sure when they would have laid them, as I wasn't home this weekend, but I'm so excited - this will be my first batch of fry if they make it.

I'd post photos, except they've laid inside a tiny pot that I originally got with a plant inside it. I only noticed they'd laid because the male looks like it's been snacking and has an egg stuck on the side of his face.

Hopefully I'll have photos of fry to come...if not then maybe next time out!

Absolutely fantastic photo, love it! Eggs look ok so far, they will go white if male hasnt done his job and those ones looking good. Is the male much bigger than the girl? If so I would suggest getting a slightly larger pot that he can get into aswell for the next time.

In my experience with cons the female is usually the one who cares the most for the eggs whilst dad will be out defending their territory. So I wouldnt be too concerned if dad isnt hanging around closely the pot.

Congrats on your first spawn tho, now you will be hooked. Convicts are probably one of the best fish to watch breed and raise fry.

Thanks :) He's only a tiny bit bigger than she is. They're about 4cm long.

I didn't actually think they'd lay in the silly little pot. I put a nice flat rock in there (because that's where my GT lays) and I have been looking for a decent sized pot for them but can't find anything that looks the way I want! I'm sure I will find one eventually. I more put the pot in so they could have a little hiding place if one of them needed it.

The eggs are still the same as yesterday as far as I can tell (without getting out my macro lens!). They haven't gone white like my GTs eggs do, and there's no mould yet.

Now I really need to find something to cover the filter intake. Would a piece of chux do the job or are the holes too big? I just have a small Aqua One filter in there until I can get them into a bigger tank in a few weeks (hopefully).

So I have tiny little wriggly things now :) They seem to have 'hatched' right as I went in to check on them after work. Mum fish is now picking up any that she knocks out of the pot and putting them back - I'm sure she's lost a lot already though!