phwoah

best way to get my filter cycle going

hi guys i have a new big tank on the way 4x3x2 im pretty sure (odd size i know but very nice tank)

my question is, i know i have to get a good bacterial cycle going on initial setup and have read several different ways of doing this before i get fish in the tank so that evrything is spot on when they go in

read that a good way to get bacteria in the cycle without fish is to put a prawn in there and let decompose over the space of a week. would this work and if not what is a good easy way to do this without fish in the tank (preferably) as i want conditions to be perfect before my fish are added

Yep that will work, are your filters new also? It takes time though, another way is to get water from an established tank and either media from an established filter or a bio sponge that has been running for a while and squeeze the gunk into the tank that would speed things up considerably..

yes everything new and i do not know anyone in this hobby or have i been in this hobby before so getting hold of stuff out of an already established tank is not an option. have seen the question of the prawn asked alot but no feedback and am looking for the pros and cons to it or someone that has done it before and can give me a play by play guide to it if u know what i mean

Get some dacon or filter wools from some members here than closest to you and put it in your canister filter than would speed up the cycle of your tank. Hope that help. Cheers, Ryan

PS: Remember to get back within 20mins or keep water movement if longer than 20mins because bacteria might die if there are no oxygen and water movements.

If you have an aquarium fish retail place near you, you could ask them if you could pay for a bag of new gravel from them, but actually take home the same volume of "seeded" gravel from one of their established tanks. They may or may not offer this service, but the gravel from an established tank will certainly be covered in bacteria that will help get the ball rolling.

Regardless... if you go the prawn option. You will probably only really need a piece of prawn, not necessarily a whole prawn. Just chuck it in the tank, with all filters, air-stones etc running, and wait.

Get a good test kit, and measure the ammonia level each day until you see it rise then eventually drop back to zero (may take a week or so). After this stage, measure for nitrite each day until you see it rise and eventually drop back to zero. Once both ammonia and nitrite have both risen and fallen back to zero, the tank is cycled. The timeframes may very a bit, but the basics are the same.

Do some internet research on The Nitrogen Cycle for Aquariums, or something like that, and you'll find heaps of info to sift through.

Best of luck,