Barmy

Dead fish stuck in Jag's mouth.

Hey guys, woke up this morning to find that my usually timid Jag has turned predator overnight and gobbled up my Firemouth. Well, tried to at least - the tip of the tail is still hanging out of his mouth!

IMGP1617.jpg

IMGP1615.jpg

So what's the procedure here, then? Does it look like he'll get the whole thing down, or would it be best to try and remove? I'm thinking remove, since it's going to start decomposing soon and I'd rather my Jag not be inhaling ammonia direct from a corpse.

I'm also worried about his jaw being extended for so long - can't be comfortable!

Cheers for any help guys.

I had a Barra that did the same thing and had the fish sideways in his mouth too, i left it for a day thinking he would spit it out but couldn't. By the afternoon he was looking pretty sad, so i pulled him out and had to use pliers to remove the fish as it had a anal spine that was keeping it in there. Had to push the dead fish back in his mouth and then pull it out. Once i got it out i re swam him infront of the filter jet until he kicked, then all is good. I would say you should do the same sooner than later! Good luck Bud!!!

I wouldn't try to pull it out as you'd be pulling the firemouths fin spikes backwards which could have it spike the jag (why most fish are swallowed head first so the fins fold flat). It does look like rather a large mouthful but i would let nature take it's course. Many fish hold their prey there and use there gill rakers to "sandpaper" the prey down to a more manageable size.

... I didn't even consider the spines in the fins. Won't I damage the Jag if I pull them backwards?

Could do, which is why I, personally, wouldn't do it. Nature will take it's course and often intervention is the worst action.

I lifted him out of the water and gave it a gentle tug - he's the tamest fish, didn't even mind me picking him up - and it definitely isn't coming out easily. I figure this kind of thing probably happens quite a bit in nature and I'll probably do more damage if I try and wrestle it out, so I've just put him back in the tank and will see how he goes. I did try pushing it a little further down his throat (mainly to flatten any spikes I might have pulled up) and after putting him back in he's taken a big gulp and now the only part sticking out is the back half of the tail fin, so that's good news I suppose.

Still, I'm worried how long I should leave him like this? Aside from the ammonia issue, there's the fact his jaw is extended and he can't eat anything else (not that I think he'll be getting hungry any time soon!). Still overall he looks bright and healthy and is flaring at any other fish coming near his meal so I'm not hitting the panic stations just yet.

Good news: The Jag just spat out the carcass and all appears well (maybe not so much from the firemouth's perspective). Now that I've taken it out the Jag is just watching me resentfully, as though I don't feed him enough food as it is.

least he's not as bad as my oscars, they spit out half their bloody food. have to gravel vac every week. plus I woke up one morning with a half of my golden catfish's body floating around the tank.. lucky he got past the spines.

least he's not as bad as my oscars, they spit out half their bloody food. have to gravel vac every week. plus I woke up one morning with a half of my golden catfish's body floating around the tank.. lucky he got past the spines.

one of my oscars does that so regularly he is getting very thin, i even gave him a live Leilupi (about to die) and he still ate it then spat it out, strange creatures they are.........