Battis

Standing driftwood roots

Hey pretty new around here, been lurking a while and my roomate and I are just beginning to set up a new 6 foot tank and we have been thinking and can't seem to figure out how to stand our driftwood roots.

They are pretty heavy and don't quite sit flat in the tank and we are worried they will fall over and break the tank. So how should we go about this? we have been thinking maybe just putting silicone around the base so it can't be knocked over but not sure if it will hold.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

My friend bought volcanic rock (VR) and jammed parts of the roots into one of the holes in the VR so it acted as an anchor and helped support the roots. Takes a little bit of shuffling around but a big peice will sit nicely with the VR's support. You can always take them apart or if you like the way it sits silicone them together. Cheap easy fix which is reliable as well.

smalltreerootsa50.jpg

largetreerootsb100.jpg

The tank is still empty just thought since the logs are soaking in water atm the silicone might not hold.

We are going to get some rocks to jam in around the base of it and hopefully wedge it in there and probably throw some silicone in for safe measure

Generally if you have a decent layer of substrate the driftwood will hold nicely in the substrate. Decent river rocks or lava rock etc can also be used to help anchor driftwood, however generally once the driftwood is soaked underwater and is water weighted it shouldn't float.

Someone asked a similar Q on another forum and someone there had a great suggestion to tie bags of gravel stuffed in stockings to the roots - to weigh it down (and also can act as a media starter if you get some used gravel from someone) and you can bury that under the gravel. Then when the DW is no longer floating you can just cut the stockings off.

Nice pieces of driftwood you have there ;) If you want to stand them upright and they are as tall as your tank is you could attach some fishing line and tie it off around your braces. Might require some boy scout skills to cross over back and forth to provide the right amount of support but should work alright to stop it falling over. Also for large pieces I generally prop them up in the corners of the tank so they can't fall over.

Also I doubt a piece of driftwood falling over would be enough force to crack a tank, rocks on the other hand only need to shift a little to crack em.