The Wombat

Best background colour?

Hi guys,

In my research for a new tank I'm looking at the beat background colour.

I currently have a sky blue background on my tank, and I keep looking at it thinking it's too bright. But I also think that black is too drab.

What are your opinions?

Cheers.

This can be true with some fish. I have aggressive americans in my tank and only the green terror was having a go at himself for about the first hour in the tank and now he doesn't even care anymore. It was always in the back of my mind but i'm stoked now that i've done it and that it's effective. Each to their own I guess.

I have a black background on my display with fine river sand and it looks really good. I've tried a couple different shades of blue and also black backgrounds with the different coloured substrates and found that black with river sand is the best combo IMO

If you bring the light to the front of the tank it will make it look deeper/wider to the back aswell.

A pic of black background with white sand still looks good i must say ....

0122-2.jpg

With blue light aswell ....

0132-1.jpg

The sand is stradie sand but it is set up as it is in the first pic with black background and gravel.

Black looks best for display imo. Blue makes it look too much like a pet store tank, and doesn't make the colours of the fish pop out as much as black does. Algae growth doesn't show up at all on black background either, whereas on blue it would be immediately noticeable, I'd imagine.

Shanoz its a 6 x 2 x 2 would love to go bigger as my display but being upstairs I'm not going to push my luck =)

Barmy i agree with you on that. This is why iI am putting black on the 8 ftrs. But i am only putting it on the ends so that i can see through the tanks. Just for something different =)

The algae still shows up but no where as quick.

=)

heres an idea, go pinch a few for sale signs *L* ... or use something similar, maybe thin plywood like bracing ply, cut to size of glass and paint them different colours and see what looks best to you. Paint both sides on each piece a different color to get the most out of the panels...

Not everyone likes a painted tank so when it comes time to sell it on it might make for an easier sale... :D