procull

Growing out brine shrimp ?

Thought I would post an update of a grow out trial I did this summer during my rainbow spawning season. i just trialled the throwing of old hatchery batchs into a bucket. After three weeks had a look in the bucket and there were adult brine shrimp swimming around. The bucket only had about 2 inchs of water in it.

some photos

the bucket with old hatchery water (note the old dead floating shells)

post-3238-14711627973511_thumb.jpg

a close up of the adult shrimp. Just reviewed my post and realised you can barely see the adults. they are the darker lines. The second photo more clearly shows 3 adults just down from centre of container, one on the far right and one on the far lower part of the container. Ill try to get some clearer photos, they are about 8-10mm long at the moment and it looks like some have egg sacks. Id guess they are reasonable nutritious if they are developing egg sacs.

post-3238-14711627973703_thumb.jpg

post-3238-14711627973332_thumb.jpg

So i thought id scale up a bit and trial a half a 100L drum and start supplimetal feeding with a spirulina algae suspension (see photo below). Will post an update n future as i see how his goes.)

post-3238-14711627972964_thumb.jpg

Edited by DavidTullee

I was surprised how easily they grew in the junk water. PK, how large a container do you use and do you aerate the water.

Fed some to my discus and they lit up after the initial surprise of seeing a fleeing brine shrimp, instead of the usual dead ones floating in front of them.

I just use little 2 litre rectangle containers. I have about ~150 mills of water left over from each batch (~1 litre of water per batch). One batch usually lasts me 3 days, and I'll tip 3 left over batches in to one container and grow out for 3 to 4 weeks. Add 1/2 a algae wafer per week, and sprinkle in some spirulina twice a week. I do not aerate the water. Just have it sitting on a shelf of my fish stand.

When I'm ready to feed my wilds, I just pour the contents through a small net. All the crap filters through the net, then while the brine shrimp are still in the net, I give them a quick rinse in a small container of tank water, just to get the last of the crap off the net. Then tip the brine shrimp in to a small container, give it a swirl and tip some into each tank. Then sit and watch my tank bettas go shrimp hunting. Can't see squat in my tubs, except for flashes of blue or green as the bettas rush about trying to beat their siblings to a meal.

So i thought id scale up a bit and trial a half a 100L drum and start supplimetal feeding with a spirulina algae suspension (see photo below). Will post an update n future as i see how his goes.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27028[/ATTACH]

Interesting, I have to ask tho

Where did you get your spirulina culture?

lost mine last year and havent found an easy way to replace it yet.

done the google thing

want to grow em out as tucker for larger fry

any ideas ?

When I was breeding/raising killifish I would get some green water from a tank outside- collect in middle of the day not early morning- (you'd be surprised how much the algae rises and falls in the column of water- ) collect with clear glasses and let it sit overnight. In the morning there will be a thin layer of dark green algae. Get a plastic pipette and suck it up and feed to your bs. Wait ? 10-15 mins so the bs can gutload then feed to whatever fish. I kept a batch of bs alive for 2-3 months only useing that algae, then got bored with it and ... Well, you know. They were even self perpetuateing.

You can try useing brewers dried yeast to grolw them up as well and there's also special food for them too. Look on eBay in England and also the USA for the bs food. (Legality ??)health shops also have spiro powder.