Kremit

My new breeding setup build...

Hi guys,

thought i would share my new project, I plan on starting it Wednesday after i relocate a few fish. I also need to do some repairs on a leaky 2ft i have but i really want to have it all circulating before i leave for work on thursday week.

Background:

I have dabbled with breeding on and off for a while now, but really wanted to have something that is a little easier to look after by my wife and kids while i'm away for work. I work up in the mines on a 14 days on, 14 days off roster so ideally i would do all the maintenance while t home just leaving the feeding to my wife/kids while at work.

I decided to build a 4 shelf stand with 3 shelves for tanks and the top shelf for airpumps/testkits etc. The idea is to have a 3 or 4 ft sump on the lowest shelf, almost floor level, my 5ft x 18 x 18 in the second shelf, and 4 2ft tanks on end on the 3rd shelf. currently i have all the tanks except for the sump, and the 2ft tanks are allready drilled with 19mm returns. I have to get all the timber/fittings, all of the plumping, and of course everything i need for a the sump including a pump. (although i could get away temporarily with using a 3500l/h one i have atm).

I have been racking my brain, trying to come up with a design for the stand that would be stable enough to hold all the tanks, but still be as cheap as possible (gotta keep the better half happy)

So far the ideas i have are,,,,

using 90mmx45mm timber (maybe overkill, might go back to slightly smaller timber), 4 uprights, 8 crossbeams (4 at front, 4 at back) bolted together, then 4 or 5 shelf supports running horizontally from front to back on each shelf. also was going to add a couple of supports running between the first 2 shelves, and maybe even at the back on the second shelf. then some decent quality shelves to suit. Each shelf will be a little over 5ft long and 2ft deep, to accommodate the 2ft tanks on the top shelf.

With the plumping i have been toying with the idea of running 13mm inlets to each of the 2ft tanks, and 19mm returns. but i may need to increase this to 19mm/25mm. The 5 ft tank will be 2 x 19mm returns, and 1 19mm inlet.

The sump ideally will be a 4ft, i have yet to get a suitable tank, but i will be building the baffels myself.

will keep you guys updated, and if you have any advice/ideas please let me know.

Tim

thats sound good i dont know much about breeding or setups and to this sounds good would love to see some pic when it is done what sort of fish and you going to breed?

havn;t decided exactly what fish as yet, wouldn't mind getting some peps, but will have to see, also had thoughts of rainbows.. will have to wait to see whats on offer at the auction up here early next month. Bought all the timber today so will start building tomorrow, and yes, pics will follow

Still no pics due to me being lazy, not that there is much too show just yet, all the timber is cut up, i have built the front frame and halfway through the back (really need to invest in a better cordless drill...) once i have the frame put together i will take a photo or 2. Then its time to install the tanks,,, Mate of mine will be drilling the remaining overflow holes for me on Friday.

Dunno if i'll get all the plumbing done before i have to go back to work, but for the time being i can put the submersible filters in each tank.

Also found a nice 3ft x 1ft x 1.5ft tank i will use for a sump, just gotta put some baffles in it and get some more media, and of course a pump. Have been thinking of how i can setup an auto top-off system on the cheap, so if any of you guys have some brilliant ideas please share. I have a couple of 200lt water barrels i have been using to age water in so was thinking of using one of them for top off storage.

Edited by Kremit

if ya go rainbows

I reccomend praecox

you can sex them younger and sell them younger

yeah they are nice, have looked at them before, dunno if i will go that way or try to stick to more se qld species, guess if i'm gonna be breeding them it dosn't really matter. Could always set up another display tank inside further down the track for my natives.

I love reading these system build up projects!!

Could I suggest a float valve in your sump that is hooked up to one of your barrels for a auto water top off?

man flu is a bitch :(

got a few more screws in today, between stuffing tissues up my nose :(

Added most of the vertical shelf supports, 4 between the first 2 shelves (2 front 2 back) and 2 (1 front, 1 back) between the 2nd and third shelf.

Tomorrow i will screw it all together and then depending on how stable it is maybe some 45deg corner bracing.

1st pic - back frame

2nd pic - front frame

3rd pic, my 5ft x 18 x 18

4th pic, 3 of my 2ftrs, needs some cleaning up though.

post-4375-14711625171674_thumb.jpg

post-4375-14711625172478_thumb.jpg

post-4375-1471162517271_thumb.jpg

post-4375-14711625172886_thumb.jpg

as a half drugged out after thought, think i might remove the horizontal supports on the rear frame and redo them, this time pre drill, countersink then screw in 2 on 45deg,i've done this on the front ones and it looks much better,,, and probably will be a little more stable.

I love reading these system build up projects!!

Could I suggest a float valve in your sump that is hooked up to one of your barrels for a auto water top off?

I would also suggest you add an inline carbon filter if you are using tap water at your source. Great stuff!

Mainly using tank water, ph, gh, kh are all very good out of my rainwater tank, and i monitor it closely, and what i normally do is fill one of my 2 barrels with fresh tank water, add salt and conditioner, then let it sit for 10 days or so to age a little, once one is empty the other is usually ready to go, then rinse and repeat :P

looking at float valves and thats def. the way to do it. was thinking about using a small air hose in a syphon setup, very slow flow rate but only really needs to be faster than the evaporation rate, and a small pipe with a floating ball valve,,, bit hard to describe, and will take a little stuffing around to get it sealing right, but if i can get it right i will post up a how to with pics.

So I've been away for work for the last week and a bit. Forgot i took these photos before i left so...

Since these photos, i have put in some 45 degree bracing, this has made the hole thing a lot more stable, and put in some mdf shelves.

the tanks are on the stand, they all fit quite well,, the only thing i didn't forsee (rookie mistake) is the position of the bulkheads on the 5ft tank. They are a bit longer than i was expecting and when drilling the holes i should have taken note as to where the uprights are. both holes are bang on where the uprights are... so now i have to leave the tank on a slight sideways angle for it to fit.. bit hard to explain, Pictures will follow.

Had the 3ft tank i will use for a sump dropped off the night before i left for work, did an overnight leak test and it all looks good. Also go the leaky 2footer re-sealed as well. Just got 1 more hole to drill in it and then all the overflows will be done.

Hopefully my mate has picked up the glass for the sump weirs, been thinking about 3 chambers, in a chamber 1 --> under and over weir --> chamber 2 --> under and over weir --> chamber 3

Chamber 1 - Inlet via spraybar from all tanks, from top down ---> filter wool ---> dacron --> noodles

Chamber 2 - bio-balls and maybe some gravel type matrix.

Chamber 3 - pump and heaters

This will be the first sump i have made, I'm kinda going by the sump i bought of a friend, and what i have seen here and on other forums. Any suggestions would be fantastic.

So as of now whats left to do ---

Buy pump, return plumbing, and glass for tank

Build sump and set up return lines.

Drill hole in last 2ft tank

setup auto-topoff system (still very much in planning stage)

More photos to come when i get home later this week

post-4375-14711625220588_thumb.jpg

post-4375-14711625220774_thumb.jpg

Ok, so i know it's been a while since i've updated, but it's all going now, built the sump earlier this week and just filled it/plugged it in, I had been running in a 2ft sump for my mate while this one was being built, so all filter material has been cycled.

so far in the 5ft tank i have 7 Juvi Bristlenose and 6 Panda cories

Top right tank is home to my cherry shrimp

top middle tank is housing 2 fire tail gudgeons, where going to be feeders for my oscars but they are lazy sob's and just watch feeders get around the tank, I will be using this one to seperate my female bristlenose

Top left tank is my Bristlenose Pair, dad is currently sitting on a nice clutch of eggs.

Sump has been modified with a good old float valve, and 19mm hose running from a 200lt barrell, gravity fed.

The pump is a 3200lt/hr power head, it seems to do the job at the moment, but i will be replacing it with a 4000lt/h (or there abouts) head in the very near future, mainly because of the head hight, almost 2 meters to the top tanks.

I have a spot for another 2ft tank, but will def. need a bigger pump before i plumb it in.

Pics to follow

post-4375-14711625303355_thumb.jpg

post-4375-14711625303696_thumb.jpg

post-4375-14711625304169_thumb.jpg

post-4375-14711625304466_thumb.jpg

post-4375-14711625304843_thumb.jpg