Jake and I had a busy day starting at 8 and just finished. Moved the escondidos from the 4x2 to a 4 x18 sending the water with 'em. Half re-filled the 4 x2 and gave the gravel a good stir the syphoned off stirring gravel regulalry so that the muck went with the syphoned water.

Syphoned the water from the 3'6" x18 zonatum tank into the 4x2x2 and moved the zonatum into there to give 'em more growing space. Topped that up, effectively giving 'em a good water change.

Removed the gravel from the ex zonatum tank and replace with sand which was a bugger to wash having been left outdoors, collecting algae.

Then syphoned half the (rain) water from the geo tank into that tank and then moved half the geos into there, topped them up with rainwater and cleaned all the hang on filters............that's it.............done.............no more buggering around................that is..............until the lad wants something else :egrin:

Looking at the size of my mature Brachy I'm a bit dubious re the growing on stocking level of 8 juvies to a 3'6' x 18' x18" with the intention of 'em staying in there. Two sponge filters and a hang on filter on the 2 tanks with 50% water change weekly..........Opinions?

kev

Edited by bidkev

Not sure if it helps but when I went to garys house his geos (whether they're brachy things or not) were huge, I'm guessing adult size

I don't think there would have been enough room for two (unless a breeding pair) in a 3'6"x18x18 tank

Not sure if it helps but when I went to garys house his geos (whether they're brachy things or not) were huge, I'm guessing adult size

I don't think there would have been enough room for two (unless a breeding pair) in a 3'6"x18x18 tank

Yeah I figure that. My mature specimen is around 10" and it's only 21/2 yr old, which has me leaning towards surinamensis as brachys are smaller(irrespective of the fact that many sages say there aren't any suris in Oz)

I'm hoping to get a pair in each tank and then I'll move the rest on.

..............until the lad wants something else :egrin:

Im sure he's got something planned next mate, wouldnt want to see you resting on your laurels...:P

Filtration on your geo tanks seems adequate. Its just the damn nitrates that dictate the stocking level. My heavily stocked mbuna tank never gets much below 20ppm. Thats just life.

Filtration on your geo tanks seems adequate. Its just the damn nitrates that dictate the stocking level. My heavily stocked mbuna tank never gets much below 20ppm. Thats just life.

agreed.

keep an eye on them when pairs start to form tho

suris may be panseys

but they can still get a bit aggro when their blood is up (and throats are black)

I would keep a pair of brachys in that size tank.

Hmmm looked on some websites, some say 13cm max for brachys, others say 10".

Wack a pic up on the cichlidae.com on see what they think.

Going back a few years but there was a guy in my home town in the UK who was big on Geos and acknowledged as an "expert." He had the biggest geos I'd ever seen and his brachys never exceeded 8".

agreed.

keep an eye on them when pairs start to form tho

suris may be panseys

but they can still get a bit aggro when their blood is up (and throats are black)

From my aging memory, it's always been my understanding that they're all part of the surinamensoid complex and that the brachybranchus is the one distinguishable by the black throat at breeding time?

Going back a few years but there was a guy in my home town in the UK who was big on Geos and acknowledged as an "expert." He had the biggest geos I'd ever seen and his brachys never exceeded 8".

i've got 5 male brachys and there all around 25cm

Jake and I had a busy day starting at 8 and just finished. Moved the escondidos from the 4x2 to a 4 x18 sending the water with 'em. Half re-filled the 4 x2 and gave the gravel a good stir the syphoned off stirring gravel regulalry so that the muck went with the syphoned water.

Syphoned the water from the 3'6" x18 zonatum tank into the 4x2x2 and moved the zonatum into there to give 'em more growing space. Topped that up, effectively giving 'em a good water change.

Removed the gravel from the ex zonatum tank and replace with sand which was a bugger to wash having been left outdoors, collecting algae.

Then syphoned half the (rain) water from the geo tank into that tank and then moved half the geos into there, topped them up with rainwater and cleaned all the hang on filters............that's it.............done.............no more buggering around................that is..............until the lad wants something else :egrin:

Looking at the size of my mature Brachy I'm a bit dubious re the growing on stocking level of 8 juvies to a 3'6' x 18' x18" with the intention of 'em staying in there. Two sponge filters and a hang on filter on the 2 tanks with 50% water change weekly..........Opinions?

kev

Holy cow Kev, I'm exhausted just reading that, let alone doing it. I'm sure Jake will have you hopping before long with another venture Kev. Get some good shut eye before that happens. :)