dditt

dditt & Co's 6x3x2.5 Build (load warning)

OK No big stories here! just lots of pics and hopefully a superb outcome at the end of this build! (I say dditt & Co because this tank is my housemates tank - im just throwing the build thread up for him)

Short story: Have a 4x2x2 growing out Cichla Mono's (see here) and a few other CA/SA cichlids. Wanted something bigger to display them in once full grown, Wanted something new, Wanted it perfect!

Everything on this tank is being done the right way from the get go, so here are the details:

Strike up Date: 1 August 2011

Display Tank: 6ft x 3ft x 30" Eurobraced (built by Dennison from Mary-annes Aquariums)

12mm glass

Display Lighting: Dual LED strip lighting 10,000 kelvin mounted on customer made Aluminium Hanger (see page two)

Stand: DIY Pine/MDF Kitchen Cabinet style Gloss Finish.

Hood: None

Sump: 4 x 15 x 18

Mechanical/backup Filtration: Odyssea CFS700 2600lph Canister filter w/ 9w UV

Return Pump: 4500lph jebo temporary (Will upgrade to a quality 10,000lph pump shortly)

Sump will be fed by two 50mm bulkheads with a return 32mm

On to the build:

We picked up the pine for the stand last week and have done a little bit this weekend but most of the frame should be together by the end of the week.

ohhhhahhhh.jpg

gotwood.jpg

choppychop.jpg

Once the frame is finished, it will be lined with 16mm MDF which will rise 30mm above the top of the frame, this will allow the tank to slide in from behind, covering the foam and bottom layer of glass. Two doors on the front with hidden hinges and poppers, Plus both short sides will be hinged (also hidden) to allow easy removal/addition of sump/filtration.

Stand will be 870mm tall to base of tank and 900mm to top of stand. More to come!

We are building the frame from 70x36mm treated H3 structural pine.

:)

Edited by dditt

So got right into the stand today.. all the frame work is done... pretty happy with it, its way over engineered but i prefer it that way.

We shot it together with a Paslode nail gun using 50mm and 75mm nails. Then drilled 75mm and 100mm batten screws into the main supports.

Diagonal brace is just to keep it square until we sheet the outside so it will be removed.

P1040153.jpg

P1040156.jpg

I will get some more pics up tomorrow if anyone wants to see more detailed shots of the design if anyone is considering doing something similar.

post-2921-14711625166384_thumb.jpg

I've been playing with a frikken awesome program which probably isn't new to everybody but is new to me. 'Google Sketchup'. It's essentially a more basic version of AutoCad, gives you the ability to design anything from scratch in perfect scale. I've still got a lot of learning and playing to do but I've done a basic design of what the tank should look like when complete.

I've done the design with one of the side doors open to give you an idea of how the doors will look/open etc. Bracing and drilled holes in tank are also relatively 'to scale' and pretty close to how it will look in the flesh.

FRONT

tank3.jpg

BACK

reartankshot.jpg

Great dimensions, and my own chosen size for if and when I change from the 8x2x2... I am very keen to see the end result and will be watching the progress with an eager eye. I'm sure once it is all finished it will provide a perfect platform for a truly excellent display.

Good luck with it and please keep us updated :)

Thanks guys! :D will be receiving the tank next weekend! so not alot has happened thus no updates... Have done a little bit to the stand but not enough to warrant pictures.

BUT! good news is, we have the LED lighting all sorted and mounted to an (i must say) AWESOME DIY aluminum light hanger. I will get pictures of said setup shortly and let you guys know what i've done.

LED's are strip lights purchased from 'PETERLAM' from this forum.

hey mate why two 50mm overflows for only 4500lph? i run a single 40mm overflow which easily handles my 4200lph Eden

from personal experience you couldn't pay me to use anything jebo biggest piece off crap brand ive ever came across... don't expect that sump to be running in 6 months / a year

also very power hungry 100watts for only 4500lph "if its the model im thinking off"

hey mate why two 50mm overflows for only 4500lph? i run a single 40mm overflow which easily handles my 4200lph Eden

from personal experience you couldn't pay me to use anything jebo biggest piece off crap brand ive ever came across... don't expect that sump to be running in 6 months / a year

also very power hungry 100watts for only 4500lph "if its the model im thinking off"

Yeah i realise two 50mm is way overkill for only 4500lph but if you consider the stocking - 4500lph is not going to cut it once they grow out, I plan to run closer to 10,000lph once the Bass are grown. There are 7 pbass in the current 4ft now as well as the other cichlids so its going to need it. The 4500 is just fine for now.

I also am aware of Jebo's reputation, but i have two of their pumps, (the 4500 and a 2500lph) and both have been running for close to a year without an issue and don't use as much power as you'd think - the 4500 is only 55wats... which isn't great but its not terrible. I understand completely where you're coming from and I agree with you, but they were cheap and were good 'in between/temporary' pumps.

Edited by dditt

I just checked, my wattage was going from memory and after i typed it i thought it didn't sound right :P you were right mate it is 100watts so yeah its terrible :P the 2500 must be the 55 watt pump. Oh well, as i said its not forever.

The 3 foot sump currently on the existing 4 foot and is just a simple down - up - down - up four chamber sump leading to the last partition being big enough for heater and pump. I've always found sumps to be simpler = better so the 4 foot will be designed very similar.

We've decided not to put the 3 foot sump on the new tank as it's just extra work, so we are going to build the 4 foot in the next week or two and ill get pics up once its done.

okay mega update time! nearly 3 weeks went by and nothing happened... too busy with work.

But it's all come together very quickly in the past week.

List of whats been done:

- Received Tank (huge thanks to Dennison at Mary-annes Aquarium)

- Put together lighting stand/hanger and mounted lights

- plumbed tank and bulkheads

- Finished stand frame and applied MDF, cut doors and have started to measure up mounting points for hidden hinges and poppers

- Started building 4foot sump

Very very happy with how the stand has turned out so far, it looks brilliant. Have changed the design slightly for a little more added strength. Have chosen to only have one side with a door instead of both, and made door slightly bigger then 4ft sump so it can be slid in and out with ease.

So first pics are of lighting:

We used Aluminium box tube with the appropriate t-pieces and elbow joins to make a stand for the LED strips, drilled holes in the end of the horizontal bars and ran the cable through the tube to keep it out of sight

P1040183.jpg

Bulkheads and plumbing:

P1040188.jpg

P1040186.jpg

Right hand side door:

P1040191.jpg

thanks mate, it is a great size, not too big, but big enough to hold just about any fish. Dennison did a really great job of the tank, quality is 2nd to none.

it can be moved with 3-4 people so most removalist should do it I'd assume, we didn't have that problem as Dennison was good enough to deliver it for free!

Mate that looks sooooo good

I might get a tank off Dennison as well

Love the pics

Good work

Thanks bud, we are very very happy with the LED's mate, they're ideal and light the thing up like daylight

So up next on the list of things to do:

Mounting hinges and doors

Paint back and base of tank black

Finish sump

Paint stand

Also have mounted a bracket to hold 2 x 6way surge boards up high under the stand and will be running cables through conduit to keep everything neat. Also have a 1foot fluro light to mount under stand to make it easy to see everything.