seamist

Tank set up advice

I am setting up my tank, it is a big (very heavy) 5ftx2ftx18in it sits on a solid cupboard stand, it will be set up predominantly as a rock scape... a few plants for colour for African cichlids.

Pool filter sand substrate

my question is.... with all the large rocks in plies for hidey holes, do you need to have a sub base of egg create mesh to prevent pressure cracks, or will the sand even out the weight over the glass surface?

does anyone else use a sub base? If so what do you use?

shouldn't have an issue if the tank was built with the appropriate glass. If your worried use eggcrate but i don't think its needed.

I had 20kg plus rocks sitting straight on the glass in my 8ft and no issue.

or will the sand even out the weight over the glass surface? does anyone else use a sub base? If so what do you use?

Normally just the sand / gravel is enough, unless ya got something massive and unstable in there. You can allways use egg crate if ya worried, but it will make it difficult to vacum the bottom properly.

Brendan

sharp edges on larger rocks or piles of rocks can pose a risk and scratch/damage the glass, not sure how likely it is to leads to cracks.

I wouldn't put the rocks on the sand, though, as the fish will try to dig under them and can potentially topple a rockpile.

for my mbuna tanks I used to set the rocks on thin stryrofoam and fill in with sand afterwards.

I used to set the rocks on thin stryrofoam and fill in with sand afterwards.

that a great idea.... cos i was worried about using egg create and not being able to clean the sand properly.

thanks for that.

did you need to coat the stryofoam with anything, or just as it was?