BRISSY

blue acaras bred today

I got the eggs out just then. not many, about 10. cos one of them decided he was hungry and the other decided he was going to chase them off the rock into the gravil. anyway, lesson learnt, don't have gravil in a breeders tank. also, about 20 got fungus, is this because they were not fertalised or ???

I used to breed Blue Acara's many moons ago, they can get a bit hungry for eggs and the little ones from time to time, with regards to the fungus, I know the general trend seems to be no substrate, bare tanks etc. But I believe having a substrate, plants rocks etc in a breeder helps maintain the balance in the tanks, remember the basics of the water cycle ? The subtrate hold a large part of what is needed for a healthy tank. Just keep an eye on the pair as well, I found the male always ready to "go again" well before the female is ready and they have very agressive battles and lip wrestling competitions to the point where one of my females basically had her lip ripped off by the male :(

I would take Dad out.

Don't remove any fugussed eggs.

Mum will do that.

If shee takes too amny don't worry. She will get it right after a couple of turns.

Let Mum stay with the eggs until it hatches into wriggling fry.

I prefer substrate as well.

The Mum will probably dig a pit and move the wrigglers to the pit.

You don't need to feed Mum or the fry until the fry are free swimming and they have lost their egg sack.

When they are ready for feeding their egg sack will disappear and they will swim with a bit more controll than they did with the eggsack.

You can feed them on exactly what you feed the parents, (Just crush irt into a powder)

Don't add that Methyl blue or any other chemicals.

Good luck

get a small white container... put it in the water and take the rock or whatever the eggs are on and place them in the container... transfer to an empty tank with water from the main tank mixed with new water and place the air stone next to the eggs. IF there are fungus on some eggs get a folk ( i use a dental pick) and gently pick the ruined eggs out of the main batch. hope that helps. Or you can just wait until the next spawn and hope the parents get better. p.s if the eggs dont stick to a surface or together just syphon them gently out into the nursery tank.