andy46

what should i put in my fx5?

I'd ditch the fine filter and replace it with purigen for polishing. Tray of noodles to keep down costs a tray of Aquaone ceramisub and a tray of matrix. You can do better but then costs rise. Personally, I think ceramisub is vastly under-rated and very cost-effective

Purigen in the bottom tray..............contrary to what some may tell you. I put it in one half and have matrix in the other half. The aquaone ceramisub can go anywhere. It's rather like soft lava/tufa rock in that it has thousand of holes in it IOW a large surface area. It's cheap at around 17 bucks for 1.5 kilo at pet barn (last time I bought it) and doesn't need replacing, (recommendation is 12 months but that's crap because replacement should be based on bio load not time)........... just a thorough rinse with mine every 3 months, although I replace mine after 4 rinses because it's so cheap, so I'm following maker's instructions anyway. The old stuff, I boil vigorously to unblock it's "pores" and treat it as fresh/new when the batch in use needs replacing and put through the same process. I've been using the same 6 batches for over 2 yrs, with 6 batches having gone through my "recharge" process and waiting to be used again.

Edit to add: each tub of ceramisub also comes with 2 bags inside and to buy these 2 bags separately, would cost (I reckon) at least 8 bucks anyway. Mine have been in use for over 2 yrs and haven't rotted

kev

Edited by bidkev

I use my noodle/matrix/ceramic/cinteredglass bio media until it crumbles into sand.

I use my coarse sponge until it loses its spring.

yea you can replace it to get more unblocked internal surface area

but

its not 100% essential.

carbon/floss and other chemical medias tho.... they need to be replaced frequently

Yeah mate ive got matrix and purigen in the top basket, crushed coral in the middle and a filter pad in the bottom. I wasnt too sure about putting in a filter pad but after seeing how much crap it collected in just a month im quite happy to keep it in there

Yeah mate ive got matrix and purigen in the top basket, crushed coral in the middle and a filter pad in the bottom. I wasnt too sure about putting in a filter pad but after seeing how much crap it collected in just a month im quite happy to keep it in there

You've got it arse about face mate. The bottom basket receives the purest water which is where your purigen should be. Unlike other canister filters, the FX5 draws water downwards, not upwards. As you've got it now, with the purigen on top, it is taking crap that your other filter media should be taking and more than likely is sitting there "exhausted". Purigen is the "polisher" and if you're using it, you shouldn't need a filter pad...............the filter pad is slowing your flow unnecessarily

kev