Craigo

Suggest a barb.

Evening all, IU need some suggestions/advice in reguards to a school of barbs for a central american tank.

The tank is a 4x2x2 with 10 juvenile central americans that I am growing out to pair up. In the next few months they will be moved to a 5x2x2.

I realise they will end up as food as the fish grow but for now they are just to timid & shy since I removed the flagtails from their tank.

I need a school of fish to get their confidence up again to swim freely, I usually use platys for this job but I am looking for a nice looking school of fish. they must be,

cheap (er than denison barbs or I would be all over them like a fat kid on a cake!)

hardy

get to a decent size

no fin nippers

schooling

Cheers guys, I did look at emperor barbs at PC last week, they look nice but seemed pricey, I dunno I haave never bought barbs ;)

Guest Kamfa

well in that case, i have found about a school of 10 giant danios, or zebra danios go's like a hit, as long as you give them time to settle in, they are great!!!

speedy little buggers help each other not to gte eaten, they are large and fast (not zebras)...

serpae tetras are also great, just so we can get an idea of your situation, what will be the stock list for this tank, and at what size are the fish?

thanks

Guest Kamfa

torpedo barbs are also good, in the pet barn in nerang, you can pick them up for $4.95 each im pretty sure? speedy biggers and school :)

red-line-torpedo-barb.jpg

is that what you were talking about as (denision barbs) ???

or the red line torpedo barbs, at aquariu warehouse on the gold coast to memory they are $80 somthing?

decent size about 10-15cm

hth

torpedo barbs are also good, in the pet barn in nerang, you can pick them up for $4.95 each im pretty sure? speedy biggers and school :)

red-line-torpedo-barb.jpg

is that what you were talking about as (denision barbs) ???

or the red line torpedo barbs, at aquariu warehouse on the gold coast to memory they are $80 somthing?

decent size about 10-15cm

hth

WOW!!! Best price I've ever seen, go for $20-30ea on here at 7cm

There's no way you'll pick them up at that price unless someone's got a slate loose. They're an endangered species which is why they command a high price

central americans 4-7cm not the most aggresive species but still.

Im happy for them to be eaten when the fish are bigger but just need soemthing to get them out and about for now.

cheers

Filamentosa barbs grow to a good size. I've got some in with a large oscar and snook and they've never been threatened. 7.95 at smiths

Guest Kamfa
WOW!!! Best price I've ever seen, go for $20-30ea on here at 7cm

yeah, pretty cheap but remember, i am talkoing about torpedo barbs, not the red line torpedos