Mirandarin

My Fenestratus Bred!

So my Marble fenestratus bred for me and i was completely over the moon. I was told it was hard to breed them, so i was expecting to wait for ages for anything to happy. Unfortunately my female paired off with the wrong male! But i guess thats my fault, she was on the other side of a divider to my male who got horribly bashed recently (Some of you may remember my thread with photos of him) Would of preferred she paired off with the best looking male, oh well. To much extra study not enough time!

Any who, when they were breeding the female was not laying her eggs in one spot, she was kinda dropping them/laying them where ever and all around the tank. I haven't actually witnessed Americans breed before (Did have some green sevs breed for me, but never saw it) The male kept pushing the female around a lot, i thought maybe he didn't want to breed with her and that caused her to scatter the eggs? They eggs didnt last very long cause i think the male ate them once they finished or during the process. I honestly felt the eggs were not even getting fertilized they looked plain white, but im sure they are supposed to go amber colour. It may have just been the lighting the the room.

Has any one had this issue with the female scattering her eggs? Is there a reason for it? I thought it may have been her first time breeding, not sure though.

Yes both are marbled. He is mainly white, she is mainly that lovely dark shiny black colour with a white head.

I was thinking it must have been just their first spawn and they didnt really know what they were doing. Fingers cross for the next spawn though *Crosses fingers and toes*

So guys, i MUST be doing something right, they are spawning again as i speak. I was able to snatch up some photos this time, i didnt want to disturb them too much. They amuse me how they are taking turns at being in the pot, swimming around in circles taking turns.

As you can see the male is still doing well, and you can still see his distinct missing patches of scales and skin. Does any one know if that will ever grow back for him?

Well thought id share my slight excitement on the matter and share some photos :D And i was told they where hard to get breeding XD

post-1856-14711625191154_thumb.jpg

post-1856-14711625191345_thumb.jpg

post-1856-14711625191526_thumb.jpg

Just curious has any tried moving a female while spawning into a tank with a different male? Would she continue to lay eggs and the new male fertilize them. Juts wondering. Cause the male she is spawning with now just seems more interested on eating the eggs as she lays them XD Though when they were busy at the other and of the tank i snuck in and stole some eggs. So hopefully i get a couple little wrigglers out of it this time :D

How did you go ?

I had 2 pair... Male marbled female normal and the other way around with the other pair

i got them 3 years ago off a guy down the sth side of brissy both breed many a times

with 1000s of eggs but only ever got about 500 fry out of them 10 here 30 there so i sold them

but a up date would be good

I unfortunately did get any bubs out of this go yet again. I just dont think he is fertilizing the eggs and that he is just eating them as she lays. But unfortunately he is suffering from sever pop eye??? So im not sure how much longer he will last.