WhoWeR

What is this thing i found in my tank?

Just found this thing in my tank. I have had heaps of fish die in this tank and could find no reason. The BN in there were fine and didn't get sick but everything else got sick and died. I decided to strip the tank down and start from scratch cause i couldn't find anything wrong. But then i moved some stuff and this thing came swimming off of a rock. It looks like a millipede but without the hard shell. I can crawl out of the water and wriggles to swim in the water. It's almost 10cm long.

DSCF1813.jpg

Could it be what has been killing my fish? The fish started looking like they were gasping for air and then started swimming funny, then upside down before dieing under a rock.

Any ideas on the best way to treat the problem. What do i do with the rocks and driftwood that was in the tank? Boil them maybe?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jenny & Carl

Looks like a polychaete to me. Comon in marine tanks but I have never seen one that large in a freshwater tank. No need to kill it, I doubt it is the cause of the fish deaths. Something like that might nip at small fish at night but not causing what your fish are doing.

As for the real cause, not sure try a couple of 25% water changes during the next week and possibly 5ppt salt treatment or something like protozin for bacteria infection.

Thanks cichlidfry

When there was still fish in the tank we did the water change and had checked all the water conditions and didn't find anything. We then treated the tank with Promethyasul but all the fish still died.

We then left the tank for a week and the bristlenose didn't seemed to be affected so we did a 50% water change and vacuumed the gravel. We then added some new fish which within about a week showed the same signs and then we lost half of them and moved the rest out. Some still died and one recovered.

We decided to strip the tank and start from scratch after disinfecting the tank. This is when i found the worms. It's just puzzling as to what killed all the fish.... I thought these might have been the answer

Thanks again

Jenny & Carl