Howdy folks,

I have two fish in my tank that I think may have something suspect going on, one has like a spot, looks like a white headed pimple, and another has two little dots on its face.. dunno if its the "White Spot" but not sure, I tried to take some pictures but its really difficult to get one that shows the... pimple looking thing. Whats the best way to treat, or know if it is the "White Spot"?

Cheers for any input.

Jonce.

I had a bad case of white spot as a newbie. I eradicated it by slowly turn the temp up to 32 degrees (freshwater planted tank), turning the lights off and I used Protozin at recommended dosage for my tank. I eradicated it and had success. Turning the temps up speeds up the life cycle of the white spot so you can eradicate if quicker or else it can drag on for weeks. My fish were OK with the hotter temp - but you MUST do it slowly over a day or so they have time to adjust to the heat. When turning back the temp also do it slowly. My fish were all OK, the corys found it abit hot but no other dramas.

With regards to Protozin (by Waterlife) I used it as it is safe for scaless fish (such as Corys, Clown Loaches etc) and does not turn everything in your tank green.

Edited by gollys

It's not the typical whitespot (ichthyophthirius). It could be an encapsulated worm (metacercarie) or it could be the start of a hole in the head crater, sorry I can't say what it is for sure. You said there is more then 1 fish with this symptom, did u get both fish from same place? Or are from same parents? Did the lumps first appear small then grow over a little time or did they just appear over night almost.

Ciao

You can't really. Metacercarie are larvae that are found in almost all wild caught fish, but are not harmful unless large numbers are present. So the bigger the fish the more worms it can tolerate. The worm cannot be passed on from fish to fish. The fish acts as an intermediate host and the worm cannot fully develop until it reaches its final host (a bird). Snails are usually what spreads the larvae.

All you can do for fish with metacercarie is provide healthy environment and it will live with the infection.

Ciao

If the pimple has disappeared then it might be hole in the head, keep an eye out for any more popping up. Black spot disease is encapsulated metacercaria. If the fish has hole in the head then it may or may not have heximita/Spironucleus or cryptobia iubilans aswell.

My advice would be keep water quality optimal for the alto, feed a little variety of quality foods.

Edited by tutters187

The best way to prevent HITH is to minimalise all types of stress so that the fish can maintain a healthy immune system. That means proper water quality and chemistry, a variety of quality foods and sufficient tank (territory) space, filtration and appropriate tank mates for the fish you want to keep.

Besides introducing infected fish to your aquarium HITH is usually brought on by stress caused by the conditions of their environment. It is important to check water quality before treating.

Ciao

Jeanine