juzz

algae problems????

i used to keep africans for 7 yrs straight and always had 10-20 in the tank at one time and never had any issues with algae. ive recently converted to americans 3mths ago and the algae just keeps popping up everywhere and there is only 2 flowerhorns in the tank. the only thing i have changed is the PH and fish type!

Has anyone ever had this issue or can shed some light on the issue

thanks

light tubes are getting older

different food

and your water changes probably arent keeping nitrates as low as you should be

either that or you are feeding more at a time than filters can handle OR cleaning filters in a way thats more wiping out rather than pruning the bacteria colonies.

light tubes are getting older

different food

and your water changes probably arent keeping nitrates as low as you should be

either that or you are feeding more at a time than filters can handle OR cleaning filters in a way thats more wiping out rather than pruning the bacteria colonies.

Light tube = 2wks old.

Water changes = 30% a wk, filtration is 2x800lph on a 350 ltr tank

Nitrates = 0ppm.

Bacteria = i havent touch any of the substrate except for the filter wool which is at the top of the cannister and never disturb the matrix, noodles, b/balls ect ect.

its got me stumped!

thanks for the heads up!

*edit:

Food = is slighty different as im feeding these guys green prawns.... so i think the prawn waste may be doin it i might lay off the prawns for a week and see how it goes.

thx

Edited by juzz

I'd get a new nitrate test kit as well

theres no way your nitrates are 0ppm mate

it is new, bought it the same time as the light. well when looking at the chart its closer to 0.0ppm than what it is to 5.0ppm(2nd colour stage). so iguess you could say its about 2.0ppm. i only have 2 4inch flowerhorns in it so the waste isnt through the roof nor overstocked. other than that i dunno! its a browny/gold colour algae

just a pioneer organism, it will settle down soon enough.

thought ya had more than the 2 baby flowerhorns in there.

but ya, algae bloom = our loverly tapwater here in brisbane.

very high in silicates and phosphates.

heck its a nice day when the tapwater nitrates are below 5ppm

protip ~ make sure you are shaking reagents the correct amount.

just a pioneer organism, it will settle down soon enough.

thought ya had more than the 2 baby flowerhorns in there.

but ya, algae bloom = our loverly tapwater here in brisbane.

very high in silicates and phosphates.

heck its a nice day when the tapwater nitrates are below 5ppm

protip ~ make sure you are shaking reagents the correct amount.

yeah it has slowed down a fair bit since friday, there was a new patch (5c coin) every day or so. but definately has slowed. thanks for ya help....appreciated!

do a search on here as to what they are :)

edit: sorry just checked, there isn't much info on QLDAF regarding diatoms

try here

About Brown or Golden Diatom Algae - What Makes Brown Algae Grow and Solutions for Eliminating This Problem in Saltwater Aquariums

thats quite a good read that...thx. when it mentioned extended light times it click to me. i was workin night shift for 3wks and the missus was leaving the tank light on for me so i could see when walking inside haha....i would turn it on at 5pm and not get home till 5am so it was get a good 12hrs a day for 3wks straight. im back on day shift since thurs last week and there hasnt any regular growth since as the light is only on for about 4-5hrs.

thanks for ya help...much appreciated

As a side note..... the algae may have been removing some nitrates from the water.

You dont generally note diatomeous algae in an aquarium with a stable nitrate eating bacteria colony.

One is a 'pioneer organism' (common in first month of an aquariums life) and the other a sign of a mature system, (usually in aquariums at least 6 months old)