itank

Water Chem Help

Ok so i have kept fish for a while now but never really had any idea about water chemistry.

i have the usual ph test kit test usually test weekly but thats about it.

Lately though my guppies have been dying by the 2's and 3's over say a 3 month period.

i have got a new stand and hood coming and i want to get this right. so what i would like to do is get the tank up running right then repopulate the tank with guppys and a couple of bristle nose catfish.

i would like to catalogue the water chemistry but i don't know what i should be testing daily, weekly and so on.

ill do a work log on getting the tank right with setup furnishing water chem and everything but i have to do it right the first time i don't want to kill anything else. i also need to clean my canister filter to the point where it looks like new so if anyone has any tips for that as well i would love some help there.

so if anyone could flash up a list of stuff ill need to properly test water i would be greatly appreciated i know I'm asking a lot but i thought i would come to the professional people first :P

Many Thanks

Itank

Personally I test ammonia, nitrite and nitrates just before each pwc (currently every 4 days). This goes to daily if either ammonia or nitrite is above 0 and water changes are increased to keep those values low.

If I notice problems with the fish, snails or plants I will test other things. For example I had snails with badly developed shells, tested for calcium and found that it was minimal so I've supplemented some calcium....

Have you cycled the tank?

Yeah mate buy that one just make sure you shake them before you use them.

You probably will need a gh / kh test kit as well. (sold seperately)

How dirty is your canister. Surely couldn't be that bad. I clean mine just under the hose with a brush.

Is the tank for the stand I built you. I could get a price from a fella up here to suit it.

When are you up here next you'll have to call over and I can get you pointed in the right direction =)

its terrible jaypee it hasn't been cleaned for ages I'm not saying how long I'm too ashamed :S The media needs to be replaced with something a little better and having trumpet snails in the tank i think it would be better to replace it rather than clean it i don't won't those buggers back again. All my gear needs a extra good clean i want to do this right right from the start so i want to do everything stage by stage your cabinet that you made me looks feckin awesome so when i set it up i don't want to have to play with it too much. i still have to decide what substrate i want to use and what kind of plants i want to use. tonight i put together an excel spreadsheet to keep track of levels. When i get it all sorted out I'm gonna have a crack at a small breeding setup in my office but the display tank is where i want to take my time.

i might call you on the weekend jaypee i wouldn't mind having a chat i got some bristle noses for you if your keen :P