Both were used last year and or even the year before

then taken out the tanks for the warmer months

there is/was some condensation inside the heaters

but that always happens both are fully submersible

anyone else had this happen

just a warning dont just check your heater turns on

make sure it cuts out too 8O

FJ

I never disconnect mine Dave. Once they've been used and disconnected, I never trust 'em. I've seen too many fail after being moved and fish boiled. Just have to keep your eyes on tank temps if you do. It used to be regular occurenc years ago when they had external or separate thermostats, but has improved over the years when they combined the two but it still happens.................they seem to switch on OK but don't switch off.

I have always wondered why people take heaters out during summer, they have thermostats and won't click on and if they do they need a good wack with a hammer and bin em.

Having said that I just went out and checked if they do click off............just to make sure lol and i am happy to report all is good

yeah when not in use after theyve been used for a while - the bi-metal strip/contacts of the thermostat build a film of ahh i guess u could say corrosion/calcify on them and fuse together or build up to much resistance between the contacts which wont allow for the heating to cut in or cut out...depending on the fault

I never disconnect mine Dave. Once they've been used and disconnected, I never trust 'em. I've seen too many fail after being moved and fish boiled. Just have to keep your eyes on tank temps if you do. It used to be regular occurenc years ago when they had external or separate thermostats, but has improved over the years when they combined the two but it still happens.................they seem to switch on OK but don't switch off.

you can get an audible temp sensor alarm.... drop a little probe into the water and the display lcd sits outside the tank. its a pretty cool idea if one is concerned about temps.

Have caught a couple of the jagar ones do it. Always noticed it and binned them if the light failed to turn off. The newer ones with the red collar do seem to be a lot better.

Then again, I don't bother putting a 300watt heater in a 100L tank either. I put the correct wattage to liters in.