squishy

Unexplained Deaths and small strange worms

Hi all, i'm a bit baffled atm with some deaths in my aquariums...

A few months back I had some sort of strange leaches in the gravel and filter, i stripped both aquariums out and scrubbed the heck out of them, and also used aquarium salt just to be sure i killed the buggers, and i'm making sure to not overfeed to avoid it occurring again ( I think the left over bits of algae tablets brought on the infestation) .

I have two tanks one is my nursery tank for 20+ common bristlenose, the problem lays in my 3ft tank, which holds *now* 4 adult common bristlenose, and two small ones, one last lonesome female guppy, and about 40 brand spanking new fan tail guppy fry. ( I learnt my lesson purchasing some petshop fish a few months back when white fungus wiped out all of my top dwellers - bad bad mistake)

After I did the full tank clean out I lost my female Albino Bistlenose, (will post a pic in thread after this) she had a small deep red colour worm next to her abdomen, it was moving around a little... and literally over night, not only had she died, she went from white to black, as if she bled internally, as if her insides fell apart. I didn't seem to have any further deaths... however my 2 days ago my Longfin Albino disappeared the other day and no body was found... than last night I lost my 2nd last female guppy. when I pulled her from the tank I saw a small medium pink coloured (thinner than a human hair), protruding from her anus, i was surprised I saw it at all.

I have been googling a little, and the only thing I can find it Camallanus worms, to which I read the best treatment is Avitrol Plus Tablets (bird wormer), would you think anywhere has it in stock.. no :( upon ringing one guy he basically made out i was crazy and that these worms aren't very common (I haven't really seen any hooks on the worms either), and I shouldn't be able to see them. Given I have only seen two, and that was in two dead fish...

Also the fish all have been having rather pale or empty looking poo of late too, and before death I have noticed a loss in appetite....

Has anyone else experienced this? I am not sure what to do, last time there was a problem and seeked help from a shop, they recommended para-cide to me, it killed a fair few of my little bristle nose fish. I really don't want to lose anymore fish... but also like to get my fish 100% healthy as my young bristle nose catfish are going to be a little crowded soon.

Any ideas or help would be great. Thank you in advance.

Give Kevin a call at exotics, I think he can help u get what u need for those worms, but at a educated guess all your bn s will have the worms if they were in with the effected one good luck mate hope it works out

Avitrol Plus tablet can be ordered in for you by any local pet shop. Do NOT use the liquid form, only tablets. They're around $14 for 100 tablets but the other wormer of choice for these worms is BigL, also ordered in by any local pet shop or produce stores keep it in stock, it's a pig wormer. By the time you see these worms they've usually done so much internal damage the fish will often die once they crap them out when the wormers stun the worms.

Thanks guys, I have been on the hunt for Avitrol Plus tablets and Big L, I haven't had any luck finding either over the north side of brisbane as yet, but hopefully I can get something soon so I can begin the process tonight. I am going to attempt to catch all the tiny guppy fry and shift them into a fry float before I gravel vac, then I will treat the tanks and follow up with another vac after 24 hours. would it be worth treating the fish in a smaller container so I can ensure I get all of the worms that fall out? or just treat all of them in the big tank?

And if majority of my BN's are feeding fine atm... I am hoping they will pull through the treatment and not be too badly damaged internally... It's going to be a stressful Ekka public holiday! :(

avitrol plus is just an avian wormer. the best and most preferred method of killing these worms is using both BigL and panacur25. try to find someone that will give you some otherwise you are up for about $75 to buy both of them.

JUST a bird wormer, I know which one I prefer -

Avitrol Plus TabletsManufactuer: Mavlab Pty Ltd

Composition Levamisole hydrochloride 20 mg, praziquantel 4 mg.

Actions Anthelmintic. The major mode of action of levamisole is on the cholinergic receptor of the neuromuscular junction, causing paralysis of the parasite. Levamisole has been shown to inhibit fumarate reductase and to affect the rate of incorporation of glucose into glycogen.

Sykes BigL =

Levamisole Hydrochloride 16g/Kg

Would you believe that everywhere sells the liquid form but not the tablet. I have rung about 15 places in the last 24 hours. *slams her head on the desk* I found out where my fish got it from... when the first call made was to the place I get my weed from and they advised they also have a big case of it atm...

Squishy - We have a bottle of the Avitrol Plus Tablets and BigL wormer sitting in a LPS waiting for me to collect, you're welcome to grab them both or either one if you wish and they can just order us more - I'm in no hurry for it, I just keep it in the cupboards and worm all large tanks routinely (every 6 months or so). PM me if you'd like to collect it, it is in a store at Morningside.

finally found them! a produce store at brendale has both the Mavlab avitrol plus tablets and the 500ml Sykes Big L .. now just to find which one will be friendlier on Bristle nose catfish and fry... I read somewhere its 1 tablet to 10L for Avitrol or 1ml to 7L for the Big L (anyone successfully tried either of these on BN's?)... I will treat the main tank first, see how i go and then try the BN nursery tank... Bummed I already lost 2 out of 3 of my 3 female breeders, hopefully I won't lose my last girl on this... [thank you again for the advise thus far! :) ]

Yes, those doses are correct.

I've never lost any fish with either of these meds, but then I've never had a dose of these evil bastard worms either. I worm routinely and have found them perfectly safe for even the most delicate of livestock including scaleless.

I would dose once a week for 4 weeks if I could actually see the worms protruding and vacuum the tank on the hour every hour after the first few hours of dosing when they start to pass them. You'll never get them all if there's substrate and that's why I would worm repeatedly to kill all hatched eggs.

Whenever worming I also soak their favourite food in the crushed tablets mixed with a small amount of water for a while.

Thank you carltonboy, I really appreciate it :) Thankfully, someone has agreed to pick up the treatment for me from Brendale today, I am going to ensure that I will be by the tanks for the 24 hrs following treatment and vacuum as much as I can, & have batches of replacement water (with more treatment in it to avoid diluting it too much during the 24hrs). And I will follow up with a 50% water change on the weekend... and a bit of worm treatment soaked zucchini also just incase :) a little hesitate as the last parasite treatment paralyzed my fish for 36hrs, and they were all stiff as boards... will see how it goes :) Thanks again!