jpcqw

convict pair

hey guys,

got a new female that is his size full of colour and he really likes her i think and is tail slapping her or somthing and chasing/following and flaring his gills at her maby dancing? is this good? thanks

Edited by jpcqw

Is there a point where convict fry should be removed from the parents? I had plenty of them (maybe 50) yesterday morning, but by the afternoon it looked like there were only 5 or 6 left. I'm hoping they're just hiding in the rocks and haven't been eaten...

Hmmm I just did a good search of the tank and I think they've eaten them :( I opened up the filter and they weren't in or under it, and there doesn't appear to be a single one left. I did a 20% water change yesterday between seeing them and not, as the tank was getting filthy, so maybe that upset them. The fry were 2 weeks old. I did siphon one out yesterday before I did the water change, so I have one lonely fry in a crappy plastic tub...don't know how long it will live!

When you have fry its usually best not to touch the water in the tank for a while. If you are really worried just transfer the fry about 4 days after they hatch or move the parents if that leaves the tank with only the fry. They are sensitive to changes in the water when they are really young.

Yeah it wasn't the best idea....but it doesn't look like they've died as there were only one or two dead fry floating around when i checked the filter. Oh well...hopefully they lay again in the next few weeks. I'll leave them alone next time...

Ooh just had another look and a few had popped out from under the rocks, so I hope there are a lot of them hiding. I'm getting a finer substrate when I move my convicts into a bigger tank - the junk that I have is too big.

I dont know mine just layed whenever. I only have my male left now so havent bred them in a while. Generally they only took a few days to lay after settling into a spot. Takes 3 days until they hatch just watch for the eggs and if you put ur hand in the tank they will try and bite you when they have fry/eggs.