Nickb

Community Tanks vs individual tanks??

Hi there?

Am pretty new to this and have a couple of tanks but havent bred anything yet?

Was wondering if I am looking to start breeding some fish is it best to have a community tank of have a tank per species?

Just spoken to different people and have recieved different advice

Any advice woud be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Nick

With my tangs, I have thought and planned out the stocking of some of my tanks

some tanks have up to 5 different species that will never interbreed

Plus they fill different areas of the tank,

rocks - gobies

top open water - cyprichromis

middle level - featherfin such as ventralis or nasuta

sand 1 - pairing up sand sifter such as flavipinnis

sand 2 - harem breeding sand sifter such as ochrogenys

In my stocking plans I aim to have as many species of fish, in adequate sized tanks that will still allow them to breed and be very happy in general and that they exhibit their true behaviour without being affected by particular fish or spacial constraints within the tank

lol, you know my opinion, but i'm sure some will say differently, and i have a head start due to knowing your looking at africans, :)

with africans your way better having 1 type per tank as they can and will cross,

although i've seen electric yellow and mainganos breeding happily in the same tank and not crossing,

Hey guys....wow that was awesome heaps of advice i appreciate it

Steve and Clayton i took your advice and reshuffled things arund and now have the electric blues in their own tanks, electric yellows in their own, afrika likomas (is that right??) and cobalt blues all in their own 4x ft tanks?

Now they are all full so might have to setup some more...

another question (I have many lol) can you breed them in the smaller like 2ft cubes cos i got 2 x 6ft tanks setup that i got cheap with nothing in them cause wasnt sure what to put in them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ps i think I have had alot more luck breeding bloody tanks and assorted shit rather than fish so far.......lol

Edited by Nickb

Another idea....is there like a social group for this forum that meets somewhere?

Cos I manage a pub and was thinking maybe could do like a members swap meet/bbq or whatever once every couple of months? Cheap drinks food etc and yeah do something like that (least I would be interested in meeting other people that share the same interest thats for sure?) I know the people at wor think my new obsession is kinda weird haha but screw them stick to pouring beers haha

What do you guys think?

Cheers

Nick

hey nick, that sounds like a plan, :) i'm sure we would be interested in coming along,

i'm not sure they would be big enough for breeding, but they would be perfect to grow your fry in, when you breed,

did you look at cutting the divider out?

also if they are 6ft divided into 4 tanks, they would be 1.5ft x 2ft x 18" ?

Hey guys yeah general consensus seems to be species only so thats what i have gone with? Seems to look good anyways no confusion as to whats what lol

I have a fair few four fot tanks is there like a limit to how many f the same species i can have in terms of like if I have 20 fish a couple of males and hopefully a lot of femles will they all still breed or is that too many fish? Thanks Nick

Hey steve and Jules,

Yeah you gys have a real good setup aye I will run with that i think sounds like a plan....those blues and yellows seem to be doing real well so far....

Might have to come back and get those others lol

Thanks for th heads up everyone too btw :)Nick

yer man i had 18 pindani's in my colony in a 4ft (x15x18) but the guy who i got 12 of htem off had 24 in a 4x2x2. But the key is water quality with overstocked tanks and filtration. Also i would have a crack at getting those 6fters and getting rid of the dividers like you said you are going to and just set them both up as grow out tanks, as when the fish are small they can all live together as long as the water needs are the same. Crank the heat up if you want to sell quickly and feed small amounts 4 -6 times a day. Also just keep in mind how are you going to get rid of these fish? LFS's, aquariums, on forum/s?? I have found this to be my biggest trouble. I am getting out of my africans and into something i have found everyone seems to want atm. Endlers :D

Hey steve and Jules,

Yeah you gys have a real good setup aye I will run with that i think sounds like a plan....those blues and yellows seem to be doing real well so far....

Might have to come back and get those others lol

Thanks for th heads up everyone too btw :)Nick

thanks mate, we hope to keep improving it as we go, and got more tanks to add to it yet,

if your interested in the flamebacks or red top zebs let me know, i sold the red zebs and will most likely keep the hongi and cobalt zebs.