the German

Using pool sand filter

Hi members

I recently destroyed our pool and now have a large pool filter sitting around can I use this on my fish? Thinking of runing it with 3-4 ibc grow out tanks

If so how do I convert it?

do I leave it with sand ?

Change the media ?

Will it work well or not?

Any info much appreciated

It would work very well, sand would work well.

BUT

The problem I see with these type of filters is the need for such a LARGE pump to 'force' the water through all that sand there for being very energy inefficient.

You would be better off & easier to set up a large or a couple of smaller trickle filters. Very simple, very effective, less $$ wasted on power. easier to service.

Hopoe this helps.

It would work very well, sand would work well.

BUT

The problem I see with these type of filters is the need for such a LARGE pump to 'force' the water through all that sand there for being very energy inefficient.

You would be better off & easier to set up a large or a couple of smaller trickle filters. Very simple, very effective, less $$ wasted on power. easier to service.

Hopoe this helps.

whats with the copy and paste jpcqw???? :s

Swerner, I run a pool sand filter on my 8ft and it is brilliant. BUT, i picked a pump that was stronger then what was necessary for the particular sand filter, and I didn't use sand as the media.

All though the sand would work as biological filtration because you would have a lot of surface area it wouldn't allow for much flow or oxygenation and your bacteria wouldn't colonize as well.

I'm using 30kg of ceramic rings and 10-15kgs of aqua clay in my filter and the flow of the pump is reduced by about 30% by the time it gets out of the filter. They're a great idea for two reasons: massive filtration in a small area (takes up a lot less room then a sump/trickle filter) and they are a 'closed' system which means they don't rely on an overflow to feed them, they act in the same way a self priming canister filter works, so you don't have to have tanks drilled. (this is the main reason i went this route, as we are renting I didn't have much room for filtration and didn't want to move the tank again to get it drilled)

Do you still have the pump for the sand filter? if so i would go for it as the majority of your cost is in the pump. Media is cheap so you've not got much to lose.

Thanks guys

Here some more info the filter is a waterco t600

Already got rid of sand going to use other media ( good idea with the rings and clay. dditt)

As far as the pump goes it's a davey 220l min to big for what I need . thinking of going Laguna Max-Flo Power Jet 11000

this will give me 2-3 times water circulation per/h and power usage is a lot less

dditt- why do you lose 30% flow is it just the water getting thru the media or is the pump to small?

Thanks for any more info

ok no probs sounds like your all sorted. My pump is 160litres a minute (10000litres an hour) and by the time it gets through nearly 3 metres of piping and through all the media, im 'guessing' it reduces by about 30%.

When you pump from a 50mm pipe into a large container (sand filter) then you lose pressure.

If your planning on running 3 to 4 IBC's then your talking in excess of 3000 litres, are you sure 220l per minute is too much? that's only 13,500 litres per hour. I'm running 10000lph on only 1800 litres.

Plus if you are planning on splitting the outlet of the sand filter from one large pipe into 3-4 smaller pipes your not going to have giant whirlpools of massive flow if thats what your worried about.

Whats the wattage on your pump?

P.S. the waterco stuff is really good quality as far as i've read/know

I was wondering how this worked out for you ??

Or if you didn't end up getting it set up.

Reason i ask is that i just got a pool sand filter.

I have cleaned the sand out of it and and gave it a good hose out.

Now my question is basically the same as yours what media to put in it.

I was sort of wondering if i was to 3/4 fill it with k1. Then the K1 would still move around and do its thing.

I was thinking that if i did that i wouldnt lose to much flow on the pump.

This filter will be going on my system and when it does i will be running a 18,000 L/HR pump that i got off kenster.

So basically any tips would be great.

Thanks JP.