hey guys, been following and reading this forum for a while now, signed up yesterday. I have just finished building my stand and sump for my new 6x2x2ft tank. As soon as i get it all up and running i will be sure to post pics up, hopefully going to get a mangrove jack from somewhere but as i live in NSW they come at a fair chunk out of my wallet lol.

Quick question i how long should i leave the tank going/cycling before i decide to put fish in, i have checked the ph and it looks fine, the sump has brand new bio balls in it and i am guessing these will take a while to grow some bacteria?

Any suggestions would be really appreciated..

Chris

Welcome chris!

I'm sure there will be tons of people on soon to answer your questions :) I cycled my tanks for 4 weeks to be safe but I'm not sure what the others do and they know more than me lol but I think I am right in saying that if you have a new tank and new filter etc it needs something for the bacteria to grow as it won't just appear so I'm not sure if you've done that.

Anyway just use the forum search function and type in cycling I'm sure Theres lots off advice :)

good luck with it all!

I know it may not be the norm but after I start cycling a tank I get a few feeder goldfish to put in there for a few weeks as testers before the real fish go in. I have only lost two goldies this way but its a far better to lose $1 feeders then $50 + fish. and its a bonus if the real fish eat feeders.

You'll need to test for both ammonia and nitrite on a regular basis during the cycle (you must add a source of ammonia to start the bacteria growing.. this could be fish waste or, if you wish to do it without the risk of live fish, something else... many people use a piece of raw prawn). Timeframes my vary, but once you've observed ammonia and nitrite both rise and then fall again to zero, you can start to add fish.

If you are hoping for a large number of fish in your display, or large fish, it would be advisable to add just a few at a time over a couple of weeks, to allow the established bacteria to grow to sufficient capacity to deal with the increased waste levels your fish will produce.

Get into it! :)

Edited by noyakfat
fixed typo

Thanks heaps for the replys guys!! it is really appreciated, is it possible to buy test kits to test for ammonia and nitrate at my local aquarium? and i will be sure to put some test fish in there first as i am looking at getting a mangrove jack to put in my tank and they come at a big price lol.

Another quick question does anyone know where i can get my hands on a mangrove jack?

Thanks once again guys really appreciate it!!

chris

Hi Chris,

Your aquarium shop will have the relevant test kits. Remember, it is ammonia and nitrite that are the main indicators for cycling. Nitrite levels will drop back to zero as they are converted into Nitrates. You can get tests for Nitrate, (and it is useful to have this testing capability) but it is far less toxic to fish and is used up by plants in the tank.

I'd recommend you check out a variety of information (internet, books etc) on the "Nitrogen Cycle in Aquaria", and you can get a good idea of exactly what's involved.

Mangrove Jack are an awesome fish, and would be ok for a while in your 6x2x2. However, if you intend to keep it long term, it will eventually need a larger home to be kept in ideal conditions, as it can grow very large. You have chosen a very expensive wet pet there. Even small individuals will generally cost a couple of hundred dollars, even when sourced from private fish-keepers and not the shops. However, they do come up from time to time, so you just have to keep your eyes peeled.

Good luck with the tank cycling :)

Thanks heaps for the replys guys!! it is really appreciated, is it possible to buy test kits to test for ammonia and nitrate at my local aquarium? and i will be sure to put some test fish in there first as i am looking at getting a mangrove jack to put in my tank and they come at a big price lol.

Another quick question does anyone know where i can get my hands on a mangrove jack?

Thanks once again guys really appreciate it!!

chris

Welcome Chris,

You will definately enjoy this site, it's great for anything aquarium related!!! As for getting your test kits, head to Hunter Pets which is down your way. I went there a few weeks ago while i was down in Newwie for work and it was the only one that was close to where i was working (Tomago) and wasn't too far from the middle of town as I was staying at The Travelodge. As for other aquariums down you way, who knows where they are as i was trying to find them :S !!! But give Hunter Pets a try as they have an awesome range of stuff and GL with your Mangrove Jack hunt as I have been searching for some here in Brisvegas too!!!