HI , i was wondering if anyone can help me, i have two Port Jackson sharks, in the last couple of weeks, the larger of the two has little tiny lumps just about both fins, where his harness markings are, just behind his gills, they are on both sides of him. I have no idea of what they are and want to find out incase it is something nasty growing in his skin or if it is going to harm him. Do i need to get a vet out?. the little shark has nothing on her and everything else in tank is thriving. Please help me

Edited by Mars

Tank size Is 8x2x2 1/2 ft. I got him in April of this yr. He lives in tank with another little shark I got in July . He also shares with a pair of Gold Banded Maroons, a pair of black and white clown fish , 2 blue damsels, a male and female Manderine , couple of hermit crabs, a sea urchin and a starfish. I have 2 anenomes , and a few corals and morphs. I buy him frozen food ei. Marine cuisine , marine green and ox heart or beef heart, though he is very very fussy and only wants to eat ox / beef heart. All tests for water come back perfect, never had any probs with water quality. I don't add anything to it. The spots on his side are getting better but spots on his tummy look bad. I have a pic but don't know how to upload it.

ok let me see if i get this right

Specific gravity ( salt ) 1.019 little bit low but i have rectified this

PH 7.8

NH 3/4 (ammonia) 0

No2 ( Nitrite ) 0

No3 ( Nitrate ) 0-10

Po4 ( Phosphate ) 0

Kh (carbonate hardness ) 214.8

Calcium 560

i have better pics of him and his spots but dont know how to upload them. as for the urchin i have a pic but dont know what type he is,

i have downloaded the pics from my iphone to my computer but it wont upload. :(

Edited by Mars

The reason I ask what type of urchin is because it could be an infected wound.

You need to get your pH up to 8.2 as its only going to fall even lower from 7.8

But do it slowly

1.025ppm would be the salt level I would be aiming for.

But do it slowly

Keep in mind with sharks you need nitrates as close to 0ppm as possible for good long term health.

What temperature are you running the tank at? Is it stable?

I'd also recomend starting a thread on Masa

I have got salt level now at 1.025. And am slowly raising Ph. Tank temp runs at about 22 - 23 deg. Though there seems to be alot of conflicting material on what temp water should be for sharks. The urchin is mostly black with little thick stubby spines that have white tips. It rarely ever comes out into open. I was also told he could be sick from his diet. Ie. To much protien. ? What is Masa ? Can I email you these pics of him?

Port Jackson is a very dangerous shark. It has very and strong teeth. It is very heavy in weight and looks very bad and a pungent type of smell is there in it's body. It has heavy body but it is very quick and alert minded shark than any other shark.

Port Jackson is a very dangerous shark. It has very and strong teeth. It is very heavy in weight and looks very bad and a pungent type of smell is there in it's body. It has heavy body but it is very quick and alert minded shark than any other shark.

wow random lol

Lol I agree random, seem to be a few spamers around.

Urchin doesnt sound like the problem. This is likely going to be a longterm water quality issue. I am interested in the diet you have it on though.

Please post up on this forum too

Reefing the Australian Way

Sharks take a lot of effort and attention to keep long term, but they can recover from almost anything.

They are a lot tougher than people.