Is there anybody that can explain this for me and how this could occur in an aquarium?

I recently introduced a new fish to an established aquarium (aclimitizing it to the new water just like I always do) with other healthy fish. Within 12hrs new fish dead.

Water - everything 0 nitrate 10ppm.

Callled where I got him from, LFS very helpful and understanding and asked about TDS levels.

I add no salt or anything to my new water except prime. So there should be no heavy metals or high levels of minerals.

But I searched on the net and read this

A high level of TDS may indicate lots of organic material in the water and a lower ability of the water to hold oxygen. It is often used to indicate a water change is required even if Nitrate levels are low.

Is this relevant?

My guess is the fish just couldnt cope with the travel and new water adjustment.

A common bristlenose. A real nice one too imo. Im still spewing.

LFS dont do refunds but said they could work something out, discount wise. So im happy with that.

Does it seem strange to have all other b/n in tank 110%, but new addition dead within 12 hrs?

I once bought a fish and had the same thing happen xcpt my LFS were only too happy to replace it after I provided them with a water sample. Sorry to hear about your fishy loss. It certainly does seem a bit odd..... I would be thinking stress before I would be blaming your water if you have never had any probs before.

TDS is Total Dissolved Solids, so it is generally what is added to water. Things like PH up and PH down will give an increased level of TDS. The other thing is the food but this will generally not cause a death in 12 hours. Bloodworm and other hi protein foods will not be good for BN's as their stomach tract is not designed for it, I noticed on a previous thread you were feeding bloodworm so just be a little careful and do not overfeed as the left over will hit the floor and dopey BN's may munch on it. Could be so many things but would think it was just a matter of stress and or changes of water conditions.

TDS is Total Dissolved Solids, so it is generally what is added to water. Things like PH up and PH down will give an increased level of TDS. The other thing is the food but this will generally not cause a death in 12 hours. Bloodworm and other hi protein foods will not be good for BN's as their stomach tract is not designed for it, I noticed on a previous thread you were feeding bloodworm so just be a little careful and do not overfeed as the left over will hit the floor and dopey BN's may munch on it. Could be so many things but would think it was just a matter of stress and or changes of water conditions.

thanks Tech Den.

No bloodworms for these guys, theyre in a tank on their own.

Only fed on the best - zuccini, peas and Hikari Algae Wafers.

Must have just been stress, unusal for a hardy b/n, this one must have been a bit soft lol.

Stopped by this arvo and picked up another - I dont think it trumps the one I just lost but its pretty close :)

I find it a real challenge finding a good one of these as there are so many average ones.

Amongst all the cichlids I have theyre the only fish Im excited about breeding lol!

Edited by kasman

Sounds like a yarn to me....

Water with low TDS is often found in backwater swamps....water is black from organic matter!!!

Sometimes you can buy fish that are already stressed and one more move finishes them off......

If you acclimatise fish over an hour or so shouldn't be a problem......bristlenose seem to accept a wide range of water chemistry

I also thought common old BN were hardy critters - you could almost tie them to the bottom of your shoes and jog home from the LFS without killing them?

Never heard of TDS before - always learning something new.

Maybe this one was just a weakling to begin with.

Sorry to hear about it though because if you are like me you take forever to choose a fish then it shakes you up to lose it.

Pretty poor show of the LFS not to offer a refund or replacement at least - nearly all good shops will do that just for good will within the fist 24 hours.

Yea, same thing happened to me last week with a new Geo, I know this fish was healthy caus i been watching it for a month and my LFS guy takes me seriously.

But 36 hours later it was dead. I think sometimes,......... $#!t jus happens :(

Brendan

good to hear (but bad) the same thing. its crap, but no ones immune to it.

got a new guy this arvo, doing laps of the tank like he owns the place already and munching on some zuccini. Goes to show the other guy was amiss from the start.

In all honesty though I think my LFS do a really good job.

They are one of the best around.

I'm sure he gets tonnes of people coming back "my fish died" only to test the water and find amonia going through the roof.

It would sh_t you to tears lol.

It is a shame to hear you lost the fish mate. I am guessing that was the one with the photos of it earlier on? If so it was a nice one!

Unfortunately fish are sometimes like us, they die young and they also die old. They also die unexpected and for no reason sometimes just like humans do. I guess that is the hardest thing to try tell some people that are new to the hobby that the fish shop people would probably get every single day when they tell them my fish died only after two months etc etc. So in a way it would be hard for them but sudden deaths like this is a bit different. Good to see you got a good deal and was looked after. My LFS done the exact same thing and replaced an otto that died within 24 hours.

Yeh your right man it is a part of the hobby, sometimes they just kick the bucket for no reason.

Thats mighty generous of your LFS to replace your otto. I got 30% off. Doesnt worry me, I was more pissed at losing a nice fish.

Edited by kasman