Bogan8r

Plants that dont require much light?

Hey Guys

Im looking at setting up a basic planted tank for my trio of apistos, and i was just wondering if anyone knows of many nice looking plants that dont require much light?

Tanks is 3x2x2 running a single bulb aqua one 3ft light for 5 hours a day.

Any input would be appreciated

Cheers Luke

Vals are vallisneria

They look really nice in tropical tanks

They are the plants on the right(the long grassy ones)--> these i believe are giant vals

vallisneria-gigantea-03.jpg

There are HEAPS more plants you can use, honestly (for me anyways) i have river sand and any plant that i have anubias, elodea, sword plants, chain swords, twisted vals, they all rooted to the substrate

Vals are vallisneria

They look really nice in tropical tanks

They are the plants on the right(the long grassy ones)--> these i believe are giant vals

There are HEAPS more plants you can use, honestly (for me anyways) i have river sand and any plant that i have anubias, elodea, sword plants, chain swords, twisted vals, they all rooted to the substrate

All of that except the swords will handle the low light also. Anubias is a really great choice, I had a nano that I forgot about after a move (no fish in it) and when I set it back up after a month the anubias was fine, no thinning at all. The java fern and crested java fern was a little tattered on the edges but has since bounced back.

As said in a text message.

Val gracillis or twisted val (dont get the others they are rubbish looking), hairgrasses, swords, crypts, anubias, needle leaf java fern, philipine leaf java fern, rotala sp green (maybe?), rotala rotundifolia (wont stay in its best or nicest colour but will still survive), some ludwigias will go well too, hygrophillas will go well too.

Mosses: Java moss (crappy thing), taiwan moss, christmas moss, peacock moss, US fissidens, Sydney Fissidens, Native fissidens, Native stringy moss (available at your local creek for free and looks fricken amazing), mini pellia,

There are endless possibilities. Focus on your hardscape and spend the big dollars or go looking around for quality hardscape and these plants will suit it nicely. There are many awesome moss scapes that are going around on the net. But it all comes down to your hardscape so go looking ;)

Friends don't let friends plant elodea.

LOL - someone told me once to plant it as it is known to have a natural anticeptic / antiobotic? I wonder if this is so, or an old wives tale?

I never did though, as I think it looks ugly and makes me think of gold fish.

Goldies love it in their pond a friend of mine has it in her pond and they go nutso over it.

Yer i really just need to get some nice rocks. I already have a few but need more. I also have lots of nice wood, i just needed to know of some good hardy plants that didn't require much light, i didn't think there were many but looks like i was wrong

What do you class as expensive? I have spent over 600 dollars in plants for my 3 footer, so no your list is very very cheap.

Dont put java moss in. It is the shittest of all mosses. Seriously put peacock or christmas moss or weeping moss. The best you could do would be fissidens. You will regret putting java moss in....PM Zane on here if you want his opinion.

You could maybe try HM or the likes. But I would be trying mosses, and crypts. Hell yer!

Everyone has a fear of low light plant tanks. But theres days where I would wish I had a simple low light low tech planted tank set up and would happily trade all my expensive and rarer plants in for a moss and fissiden only tank.

ok so adam has said everything, and yes java moss is easy as hell but also invasive as HELL it will take over your tank. the list has already been provided and also with sand you can always get dino dung from dave at aquagreen and the rooting plants will use the nutrients from that (that is what i am doing atm)

as adam said a good moss scape can look amazing. and if anyone thinks adam is joking about his budget he isnt. He spends more on a nano tank than most of us would spend on a 4fter.

oh and also josh will be able to help you out with all these plants. If you take a picture of your hardscape an idea to him he will be glad to help you out/give you some advice. I am setting up a low tec tank as we speak except mine has another degree of difficulty its cold water (24 degrees) for axolotl's who 1 need shelters (there goes a good hardscape) and 2 uproot plants :S which means fun times for me haha