gollys

Angelfish spawning

I thought I might share some photos of my two angel fish spawning.

It might help other newbies to see what happens and how to tell the sexes apart. I was lucky enough to buy only 2 angels (they were babies not much bigger than 5c pieces) and they paired up.

They have raised fry 4 times now. But being in a community tank the fry have only lasted a day free swimming.

This is FEMALE:

201106131717101-1.jpg

This is MALE:

201106131714012-1.jpg

Eggs:

201106131820281.jpg

Fertilization;

201106131825452.jpg

Edited by gollys

Thank you - I was very excited as they are my first angels and I had not experienced fish spawning before. The tank pictured was my 3 footer, I now have a 6 foot one (just installed about 3 weeks ago) so all the plants and fish have moved into that - so I am currently aqua-scaping that. My tanks are low tech (no CO2 or anything fancy, just flourish etc) - I intend to put some pics up this week of the new one as I have included some plants from one of the sponsors on here (Liverpool Creek). So stay tuned............

Footage of female feeding babies chewed up roots.

FeedingRoots.mp4 video by gollys1 - Photobucket

Wow.... that was strange!! There appears to be fry in the ball of "roots" that she spat onto the leaf!! I wonder why she was doing that? I can't imagine that the fry would be utilizing it as a food source, surely their digestive system isn't developed enough to process anything yet?? Maybe they are the ones that wont "stick" to the leaf and she is using it as a binding agent ?? Very odd! Great video, thanks for sharing!

Cheers

BFE

Yes what had happened was she spawned over two leaves - one above and one below and kept trying to move them onto one leaf as they became wrigglers. She was putting roots she had chewed from floating water sprite there for some time though but by the time we got the camera we missed some of the action. I was unable to feed the fry as I had nothing to give them - and the LFS had nothing to offer - so I tried by grinding flake food to powder but that was not successful of course. Also being in a community tank it is almost impossible for any fry to survive. One day though, I will try and save some as I now have food put away just in case.

Hi People

Angelfish fry like discus fry will feed from the side of their parents. I have even had a Pair of discus in a devided 3ft tank adobt angel fry that swam through. I usually take the eggs away but always give my breeders every 5th or 6th spawn to help cement their relationship as a breeding pair. As the user name suggests i am Angel mad and have bred them for almost 20 years. Boy that makes me sound old.

Angel

great pic's of ur angels

Thank you - I had taken stills off my video camera as I wanted to share the papilla of each fish so newbies can see the differences between male and female as it was hard for me to find any decent photos when I was researching myself.

My angels have raised their fry to free swimming stage in the tank but the fry have not lasted long past a day due to being in community tank. I have not raised any fry as yet, but hope to try at least once.

They are currently minding their 5th lot of eggs as I type.

It has been wonderful to watch this pair of angels bond and be so tending to their babies and has brought me much joy and excitement.

Edited by gollys