trk18

Info please ? Marble fenny/ parrot

Hey

Im no breeder of hybrids at all in any way not sure I even wan2 but in my community tank I'm fairly sure my marble fenny has paired up with a blood parrot ? What the ? They are swimming together and shown sings of normal breeding dug pit, protecting the pit etc

Is this possible I'm guessing it is ? What do you end up with ? Or should I separate them and not let this happen? Her tube is coming down as well and advise would be great

Thanks in advance

Trev

yes, it is very possible! blood parots can near enough breed with any centeral american cichlid! you might end up with a marbled parrot which could fetch you about $16 ea at 5cm, i would say let it happen, let "nature" take its course. if they do breed thats great!

i advise taking the fry out into a seperate tank for better start in life

HTH

$16.00 each at 5cm? i'm not expert granted.......but where does that price come from for an as yet unheard of hybrid let alone a first generation mungrul. they will all turn out with different traits as all first gens do. line breeding enhances a fish and hence its price in the hybrid game. i fail to see the reasoning behind the hybridisation of spp. in the respect that both these spp. are either cross bred hybrids (blood parrots) or colour morphs (fenny though i still think the marble fenny is a hybrid spp) and only dilute the bloodline of a previously line bred spp. not meant to be an attack really on the hybridizing of these fish or the op or even the posters though selling first generation hybrids at 4-5cm does tend to come back and bite the buyers in the arse as 90% are generally crap. flowerhorns have alot to answer for in this weird frankenstein craze that alot of noob hobbiests are facinated with IMHO

oh and by the way im pretty sure the rulz re this sub forum state that no discussions should take place re new hybrid breeding...........oops :lol:

For the record here I am not trying to breed hybrids ! Nor am I a noob hobbiest fascinated by these guys . Was only trying to get info on if they would actually be able to breed. I am sure in the tank that they are in nothing will get past eggs/ wrigglers ! Anyway was just looking for info not start people off or attract sarcasm from other members.

Would like to think that if I can't find info that I need else where that I could ask here.

settle down pettle down. maybe re read what i wrote in any other context then the one you chose. for the record i was generalising with the noob comment and made reference to the fact i was not attacking anyone. really up to you how you wanna view critisism.....constructive or otherwise HTH :lol:

All good tuffy not worried to be honest.

cool, me either. i only respond on opinion and try not to be dogmatic in response. in real terms 99.9% of american spp. will hybridize when given the right parameters ie: no viable true spp. partner. its an interesting topic truth be told, i just hate when sales and prices are bandied about as though some accident of "nature" (nothing natural about a glass box) is suddenly a license to print money. again not directed at you its just everyone hybridising seems to be in it for the dosh and not the science or theory or 20 years plus of line breeding required to produce special interest spp. etc etc......purely greed and the chance of the new "flowerhorn" craze. again just my opinion re the subject.....cheers mate

probably get some kind of kamfa looking thing

lol wtf man they will be mungrul .

yes, it is very possible! blood parots can near enough breed with any centeral american cichlid! you might end up with a marbled parrot which could fetch you about $16 ea at 5cm, i would say let it happen, let "nature" take its course. if they do breed thats great!

i advise taking the fry out into a seperate tank for better start in life

HTH

and WTF YOU WILL NOT GET $16EA you would be lucky to get $1.60 for them THERE mungrul .