predator

could this work eheim 2213 in a heavily stocked 4 footer

currently doing a bit of experiment with one of my tanks

in a 4*1.5*1.5 i've got an eheim 2213 with altered media. instead of the original media i've pretty much filled the basket with bio balls and tubes. so no sponge in the filter apart from the piece dividing the two different bio carriers. Where the intake of the canister is i've used coarse sponge to block any debris from even entering the canister so that there won't be any debris built up in the canister.

at the same time i'm running a 2000lph internal with sponges only to mechanically filter the water.

theoretically the 2213 despite being a very low flow rate canister should still take care of the bio part of the filteration and the internal filter will do the mechanical part. the idea is that the bio filter should never ever need a clean as long as the sponge at the intake's cleaned daily to prevent blockage. then the internal can be cleaned as many times as i want even under tap water cuz i don't need it to carry any benefitial bacteria at all.

wonder what you guys would think of this idea.

even with a sponge on the intake u will still need to clean that sponge inside the canister coz if water can reach it then so can very small debris lol, its inevitable lol. i had a sponge over my intake and the sponges inside my canister were just as bad as the intake one.

true.........

thanks for the advise think i'll have a look at the sponge inside my canister tomorrow lol

i'll probably replace that sponge with mesh net if i find it dirty i guess to completely eliminate the need of cleaning the canister........well theoretically lol

but yeah do you reckon the bio part will be sufficient just by running a 2213.

Well bio is on everything. The gravel, the glass, wood, rocks, ornaments, plants. So yes bio wise it should be fine but think about it. The less bio u have, the more nitrate u will have too which means more water changes. Your tanks roughly 240 litres and ur canister does 600l per hour, which means ur tank will be filtered 2 1/2 times an hour. I would say thats border line especially with a heavy bio load like ur saying IMO

yeah exactly my thought. i'm even thinking maybe some more efficient bio media to increase the surface area?

yeah the tank will soon welcome a 40cm barramundi, one bass around the 30cm mark and couple salmon tails that won't fit in the barra's mouth as my cleaners. so the tank won't be extremely crowded it's just a bit busier community than i usually keep.

40cm barra + 30 cm bass + 2 or 3 salmontails at 15-20cm each?

Sure you only have 4 or 5 fish, but that's still about 100cm or so of big fat meat eating fish in 120cm tank filtered by a 3L of (inefficent in a cannister filter) media...

For ease and convenience, capacity of filters is often quoted relative to aquarium volume, however, its actually more dependant on the input of nutirents (i.e. food) and volume of fish - which going by your stocking list will be a fair bit.

I'd suggest that your tank is quite heavily stocked and your filtration is insufficent.

Yer now u have told me what u have I'd say massively over stocked. It would be like putting a pair of dovii I'n there and that's not good, considering barra get pretty big. Not so much bio I'm thinking, but more the fact it would be cruel. And whether the canister is sufficient enough I'd say comes down to your feeding, and water changes

haha thanks guys for the replies but yeah don't feel sorry for the fish just yet cuz this is only an idea and that's why i'm asking here.

yeah the plan was to get a barra a bass and couple small fish as cleaners. i based the feasibility purely on the ecological capacity of my tank cuz this is only a temporary tank for them before i get an 6*2*2 when i move. the simple fact is that i won't be feeding the fish a lot and temperature will be kept more around the 20s so they won't grow fast I just wanna make sure they are the right fish i wanna keep before stepping up to a bigger tank.

If your going to keep fish like barra I think your better off buying them smaller so your not needing a 6footer straight off the bat. then your filtration isnt getting such a flogging. And if you keep your temp low they wont be growing too fast on ya. Just dont put yourself in the situation of needing to either sell them off cheap or having to find a tank asap because your barra cant turn around.

Steve.

yeah i'm actually starting with something around the 15cm cuz at that size they have been through some natural selection (under controlled cavity environment though) and usually have better immune system over the fingerlings. as for the bass i'm thinking around the 20cm mark as well so that when the barra gets bigger it still won't fit in the mouth.

how fast do you reckon a barra would grow say from 5cm to 10cm. 10-15. 15-20 then 20-25 under ideal condition. i've had oscars before and i know they just get bigger every time you feed them lol

Wouldn't ever compare the growing pattern of a barra to an oscar =P

I only had a young barra but if you ask any one who has grown one out it takes alot of time to get them to mature because you have to remember these fish can and will grow over 1M in the wild. If you keep the temp low, they wont grow anywhere near as fast as having the temp around 26degrees. But I am not an expert on barra someone who has kept them for a few years will be able to give you specifics.

IMO just buy fingerlings would be much more enjoyable growing them out :)

Steve.

yeah i was gonna start with couple around the 3-5cm mark as they are probably the easiest to locate in the shops but i heard that finglings almost always refuse to eat anything but feeders when switched to new environment. do you think it's a must to get barra onto pellets or you reckon feeders + shrimps + blood worms will make just a balanced diet as pellets?

Mine ate pellets straight from being bought as most of what they are fed is pellets on the farms and in petshops because its the cheapest way of feeding fish. If i were you i would have the live food as treats like once a week or whatever just so they dont get used to having it everyday because then your wallet will feel it big time. The only issue I had with taking mine home was that they didnt eat for a day or two which wont kill them. Best bet is to locate some fingerlings and grow them out, 4 foot is safe for the time being for small fish but getting big fish and knowling putting them into a small tank is cruel.

I would honestly go with a barra, couple of silver pearch couple of bass and have some eeltailed as your tank cleaners.

Steve.

With your filter, i personally wouldnt do that, if you can buy a 2nd hand canister to chuck on aswell just as back up and to help out that would be idea, even the cheap proaqua ones from ebay or guppies. I have never had a problem with mine in about a year. Or you could keep the 2213 as it comes normally and have some internals as the classics are good for bio filtration but are weak for mechanical filtration. So getting something like the internals which are good for mechanical could be a cheaper option. But i would just be keeping a close eye on your water and making sure that it is always good :D and keep ontop of your W/C's.

GL

I bought 2 barra, 2 Archerfish and 2 Tandanus catfish around 4 months ago..

The barra were around 5 cm as were the archers. And the tandanus were around 10cm.

I had them in a 7x2x2 but now have them in a 4x1.3x2.3. The barra are now 20cm and 17cm the archers are 11cm and 9cm and the tandanus are 19cm and 18cm, I asked what they were being fed at the shop and it was tetra colour granules. So I continued with that and it also brings out colours in the fish. I throw a few guppies in there which I catch from the local creek.. And I also feed them protein pellets. Barra are not fussy by any means and they will eat nearly anything you throw in there.

I can wet my finger, dip it in granules and dangle it 2 inches from the surface and the big barra will pop its head out and eat off my finger tips. Its awesome!

Choose your fish carefully though and choose the size.. Mine all get along great as I got them small, I will keep an eye on them when there bigger but I have a feeling they will still all be good together..

I am redoing the sump on my 7 foot and when thats finished they will be going straight back in there! I dont like keeping big fish in small tanks, I dont think its fair on them so Ill give them plenty of room to enjoy there home purely because I enjoy owning them!

Just think about everything you do because there amazing creatures and deserve to be happy, And when there alot happier you should be too.

I would be careful with catching guppies from local creek as you do not no, they could be carrying harful disease's.

Not only that but you could actually be catching mosquito fish which are easily mistaken for guppies and are a kill on capture pest species :) cant remember scientific name for them however.

Steve.

mosquito fish which are easily mistaken for guppies... cant remember scientific name for them

Steve.

Mosquito fish = Gambusia spp. There are a number of species including G. affinis and G. holbrooki but they are all declared Noxious in Queensland.

As far as your filtration goes, if you are planning on a 6x2x2 tank in the future, I think you may be better off getting a suitable filter for it now. It certainly won't hurt putting it on the smaller 4 ft and when it comes time to change over, you will already have a suitable capacity filter seeded and ready to go :)

Cheers

Edited by noyakfat
back on track